Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORBs Previewed on the NA Website

Thanks

Default ORBs Previewed on the NA Website

I didn't know until this past week when Pavel told me, that it is possible to see ORBs on the NA website in full, and FOC, albeit only Summaries of Events (i.e. the F540 and not the F541) and watermarked. Nonetheless, they are in the most part readable and it is fairly simple to glean important information, such as when a man joined or left a unit.

I wondered how many there were so did a full search and found that over 31,400 are scanned, covering the years 1911-1963!

They cover not only RAF, but also RAuxAF, FAA, PR Sqns, RAAF, SAAF, FFAF, RIAF, RNZAF, RCAF, Royal Hellenic AF, Malayan Aux AF, plus University Air Squadrons, Comms Flights, Ferry Support units, AOPs, a conversion flight, and a few other units, including Fighter Command Comms and Instrument Training, HQ Flying Training Command Comms, Med/Middle East Comms, SHAEF Comms, and AHQs Burma, India, and Italy!

I downloaded the results and sorted them in an Excel file, which comes to about 3.2MB. If anyone's interested in a copy for reference, let me know and I'll be happy to send it.

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    I am not sure if I understand your first sentence correctly but for most units there is available preview of both F540 and F541 as far as I have checked squadrons of my interest.
    Anyway - I will be glad to get your file for my further research.

Hint - if you would like to make it available to all member of this forum I am sure Jagan would be able to think out how to make it.

Thank you

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

The F540 and F541 summaries and diaries are available along with appendices sometimes.

I did this little user guide
    http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/TNA_...guidelines.pdf
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dennis_burke For This Useful Post:

Andrew Arthy (18th March 2019)

Thanks

if you search for the terms "records of events" and "summary of events" filtered within the AIR records group only, you get

"records of events" 30,104 = F541 roughly

"summary of events" 30,774 = F540 roughly

Steve, have you found that you can view the "Comms Flights, Ferry Support units, AOPs, a conversion flight, and a few other units, including Fighter Command Comms and Instrument Training, HQ Flying Training Command Comms, Med/Middle East Comms, SHAEF Comms, and AHQs Burma, India, and Italy" files online?

I understand that these viewable ones are the AIR27 files and correlate basically to numbered front line squadrons only. The search results of any search can be downloaded, that's how we created the AIR78 index on this site.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 27th February 2019 at 09:26.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Steve

Please do forward the excel file - you would save me work that I was planning to do myself.. just like the AIR81 locator, we can do well with an ORB locator.

I think i discovered this 'preview' thingy about six months ago.. currently using it to cross reference the CWGC Database on our site. that got me thinking that it would be nice to have an easy handy tool

Thanks

If you want to include the contents of my pdf feel free.

This might be a good case for just giving folks good information about how to use the TNA search facility rather than links, there going to be missing months, non preveiwed ones etc.

There are ways to find say.. all ORB for a particular month.

Bear in mind there are 60k links, not just 30k.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 27th February 2019 at 17:02. Reason: 60K not 30K
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dennis_burke For This Useful Post:

Jagan (27th February 2019)

Thanks

Okay - couldnt wait - i downloaded some exports and have this

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/air27/index.php

Tell me how it works..

Thanks

Looks good Jagan, and seems to work well. I have sent you the full list that I could find of the Summaries or Events, Good to have Dennis' instructions with it, too.

Dennis and Pavel, I've sent you the lists as well.

My list are Summaries of Events (F540) only. I didn't realise that the Records of Events are also available, so thanks for letting me know. In that case, the full list of docs available online will be much larger than mine. Personally, I currently have no need for the Record of Events (F541), but it's good to know they're there in case.

I was surprised when Pavel mentioned them as I hadn't heard anything about it (or anyone discussing it) until now. Great tool, when you live so far away from t NA, as I do. I hope they do other units as well! Schools, flying training units and Stations would be absolutely brilliant!

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Brew; 1st March 2019 at 00:31.
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Brew For This Useful Post:

Jagan (28th February 2019)

Thanks

Steve, i found its a hit or miss when researching losses sometimes the RoE (F541s) have the full crew names and serials - in other cases i found the opposite true as well with F540s having more details. So having both for a particular date is a good thing.

Thanks

That's what I implied within my document, there is no clear standard across the ORB's, be that they be hand written, typed, list full crews, or pilots/nav etc only, or list all postings of all squadron staff or only just officers.

its big time, hit and miss
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com