Thread: Bomb Jettison Area, The Wash, 1945

Thanks

Default Bomb Jettison Area, The Wash, 1945

Hi all

Trying to locate the position (maybe co-ordinates) of the bomb jettison area in The Wash in early 1945. Can anyone help please? I've seen it referred to but don't recall seeing details of its position.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

I have the following co-ordinates for January 1945

TF 68925 49559
    TF 77870 49889
    TF 79885 55514
    TF 73185 57144

The Wash itself was filled with bombing and gunnery ranges and the jettison area was within the Hunstanton Coastal Armament Training Area (for air to air firing). I have not been able to button down the earlier jettison policies but I suspect any waters outside UK waters would have been used. There were also a number of ranges inland that would accept jettisoning in an emergency.

There is also the question of what type of jettisoning it was. Emergency is the normally assumed reason but I think the most common is not being able to bomb the primary or secondary targets. I don't know what the policy was for that. Prior to 1940 and the fall of France this was a big problem due to the lack of permitted targets but later any enemy held territory was fair game.

Thanks

Default Bomb Jettison Area, The Wash, 1945

Hi PNK, many thanks for that. Very helpful. May I ask the source of those co-ordinates?

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

As luck would have it this is one of the few occasions where my atrocious record keeping wasn't too bad. It came from the Canadian Air Force Archives online.

http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...35/377?r=0&s=2

The quality is very poor and took some fiddling to get it almost readable. There was also one in November 1944 and if you can read the record number in the place column it was 3915. Sadly the site can be very slow at times so I used to regularly bookmark progress so I could continue when things speed up.