Thread: Squadron Leader Sarral

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Sarral

In April 1940 a Sqn Ldr Sarral flew one over Ottercops Chain Home stations as part of an AA exercise.

Can anyone id him or the Squadron he was operating with at the time? Can’t find any references on the web.

Many thanks
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Jim
    Suspect there's a surname typo somewhere? Can't find that name amongst the "usual suspects"!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

I did wonder. Suppose the next step is to look for units still operating the Gladiator in April 1940 in the North East or Southern Scotland.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Can’t you look in 1940 AFL for all SQn Ldrs like Farral or Sarral etc for period

The sqn ldrs will be all grouped together

Thanks

Identified this chap as Squadron Leader Arthur Leslie Horrell, not the pilot of the Gladiator, he was actually on duty in the Operations Room at the 13 Group HQ at Kenton and responsible for the exercise.
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Jim, et al,

Arthur Leslie Horrell
    b. 2 Aug 1899 Raunds (Reg Thrapston 3b 218)
    1911 Census Loc Kent College (Boarder), Harbledown, Kent, aged 11
    1914-1922 2/Lt RFC
    8 Aug 1917 Attestation RAF(?) (91134). Profession given as “Miscellaneous Aviator”.
    4 Jul 1939 Cmd Plt Off(p).
    4 Sep 1939. Prom Fg Off (73616).
    1 Sep 1942 Prom T/Sqn Ldr.
    6 May 1947 Cmd relinquished. The undermentioned (on appointment to the reconstituted A.A.F.):— Squadron Leader A. L. HORRELL (73616), and to command No. 3506 (County of Northampton) A.D.U.
    7 Jul 1949 RAAF(Reconstituted.) Aircraft Control Branch. Transfer between branches. The undermentioned are transferred to the Fighter Control Branch retaining their existing rank and seniority, with effect from 7th July 1949: — Squadron Leader A. L. HORRELL (73616).
    6 May 1952 Extension of service. The period of service of Squadron Leader A. L. HORRELL (73616) is extended by two years with effect from 6th May 1952.
    6 May 1954 Transfer to reserve. Squadron Leader A. L. HORRELL (73616) and relinquishes command of No. 3506 (County of Northampton) Fighter Control Unit.
    6 May 1957 Cmd relinquished Sqn Ldr A L Horrell
    d. Q4 1981 (Reg Hammersmith 12 1853)

It is a relatively uncommon surname. When I were nobbut a lad I lived on the west side of Peterborough in Priory Road. Westwood Grange (once a farm of the Priory but now Bretton Gate Sports Club) became Peterborough (Westwood) Airfield. To the immediate west of the airfield was Westwood Farm. This was a dairy before/in/after WW2 called Horrell’s Dairy. The Horrell family were amongst the “Good & Great” in Peterborough at the time, but I am unable to establish which bit of the family Arthur Leslie came from! A serendipitous connection!!

HTH
    Peter Davies

Correction.
    91134 is in the Block 90601-93600 RFC from Civilians 1 Aug 1917-30 Sep 1917
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 10th March 2019 at 16:16.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

That's great Peter,

All adds to the story.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post

When I were nobbut a lad I lived on the west side of Peterborough in Priory Road. Westwood Grange (once a farm of the Priory but now Bretton Gate Sports Club) became Peterborough (Westwood) Airfield. To the immediate west of the airfield was Westwood Farm. This was a dairy before/in/after WW2 called Horrell’s Dairy. The Horrell family were amongst the “Good & Great” in Peterborough at the time, but I am unable to establish which bit of the family Arthur Leslie came from! A serendipitous connection!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Snap(ish) when I were a lad we moved to Peterborough (from Scotland) in 1965,we lived on Dogsthorpe Rd and I was a member of 115 Sqn Air Cadets in the old wooden hut on the edge of the old airfield (close to the old Officers Mess and also the Halcyon Pub),I escaped in 1970 to join the RAF.I remember Horrell's Dairy well.
    rgds baz

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Resmoroh (15th March 2019)