Thread: 29 Sqn Javelin collision, May 21st 1960 - accident report?

Thanks

Default 29 Sqn Javelin collision, May 21st 1960 - accident report?

Hello

On May 21st 1960 Javelin FAW.6s XA823 and XA835 collided over the North Sea during Exercise Yeoman. Flight Magazine of June 3rd 1960 reported the accident:

Successful Double Ejection
    BEHIND the cold communiques about Exercise Yeoman there was at least one story which caught the headlines: the escape of two crews of No 29 Sqn after their Javelins had collided at 40,000ft over the North Sea, some 40 miles off the Durham coast. The rescue of one of these crews from the sea was due partly to the pilot of a sister Javelin squadron (No 33) who followed their aircraft down, and partly to the assistance of a Shackleton of No 42 Sqn which was on standing patrol and dropped two sets of Lindholme gear.
    The collision occurred at 1415hr on May 21 at a point 65 n.m. north-east of RAF Middleton St George. The aircraft involved were XA835, with Fit Lt D. J. Wyborn as pilot and D. S. J. Clark as navigator, and XA823, flown by Fit Lt J. S. Wilson with Fg Off E. Wood as navigator. The nose of Wyborn's aircraft was torn off, but he managed to retain some control and brought the Javelin down to 14,000ft before he and Clark had to eject. He attempted before leaving to direct the aircraft over the sea, but as he and Clark were descending by parachute it turned and went over the land, fortunately coming down in open country. [*]
    Wilson and Wood had to eject immediately, because the tail of their aircraft was destroyed, and their descent was watched by Fit Lt D. Freeston of 33 Sqn. The Shackleton, flown by Fit Lt B. C. Letchford, was ordered to the scene at 1425, when it was between 30 and 40 miles distant. Picking up signals from the Sarah beacons in the dinghies it located Wilson and Wood at 1511 and Whirlwinds were homed to them. The two men were winched up after being in the water for respectively 2hr 20min and 2hr 33min.
    The three Whirlwinds were all from No 228 Sqn, and two of themóflown by Fit Lt Sparkes and M/Plt Boucherócarried out the pick-up from the sea. Rescue operations were directed by the Northern Rescue Centre at Pitreavie, Scotland.

The four aircrew were:

XA835 Z:
    Flt. Lt. David John Wyborn, of Yapton, Sussex (Pilot) 607336
    Flt. Lt. Derek Sidney John Clark, Woolastone, Glos. (Nav.) 151740

XA823 P:
    Flt. Lt. James Forrester Wilson, Portobello, Midlothian (Pilot) 3023589
    F/O Evelyn Wood, Guildford, Surrey (Nav.) 2620236

I understand from an article in Air North's magazine of January 2003 about this collision that there is an Accident Report, which the article refers to. Where would this be held? At the National Archives, or the R.A.F Museum perhaps? I can't find anything in the 29 Sqn ORB.

Regards

Simon

*there is a photo of what's left of XA835 in this article from the Hartlepool Mail of May 27th 2015:

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/lif...pool-1-7280640

Thanks

Hello again

Just to answer my own question:

I dropped an e-mail the the AHB last week, having seen on their website that they "can provide information on RAF aircraft accidents which occurred over 15 years ago to members of the public in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act." The website said up to 20 working days, depending on how much research was needed.

Today, just five days later, they e-mailed over a very helpful and comprehensive reply, with details from the RAF Casualty File, together with a copy of the AM1180 Aircraft Acccident Card.

I have to say I'm very pleased with both the detail supplied and the speed of their response - a very impressive service indeed!

Regards

Simon