Thread: Crash of DH.98 Mosquito NF Mk XIX TA400, 85. Squad.-20 Oct 1944 Germany

Thanks

Default Crash of DH.98 Mosquito NF Mk XIX TA400, 85. Squad.-20 Oct 1944 Germany

Dear RAF historians,

my name ist Juergen, im from Mosbach/South Germany. I´m looking for information about a loss from the 19. of October 1944 , when the Mosquito nightfighter /No. 85 Squadron from F/L (121.333) Arnold Maurice Hill crashed at Oberwittstadt / Bad Mergentheim Germany.

F/L Hill survived and were taken as POW, but his comrade F/L (122.416) Gregory Bernard Brooker was killed.

The plane was shot down by german nightfighters - I couldnt find it in any german Luftwaffe source - but is there any report about the flight and the crash , made from F/L Hill after the war?

Thats the link of my source https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=139969

I have also documents of Brooker from cwgc.org and the report from Chorley.

I´m also looking for photographs of the plane and the crew for a newspaper article, but couldnt find anything - maybe cause of my bad english research skills, I donkt know, does anybody know where I could find some?

I would be very happy if you could help me with my research :)

Please excuse my english, I hope you can understand my text.

Have a nice day

sincerly yours

Juergen

Thanks

Hello Juergen

Welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help on here.

Firstly, have you seen this page:

http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/HillAM.htm

As you can see from this link, Hill was awarded the D.F.C. (Distinguished Flying Cross). Someone else on here may be able to add some more details about this medal award.

There is some information from http://www.mossie.org/donated_files/donated_files.htm - see the Excel file Mosquito Fates.xlsx:

19.10.1944 1915 85 Bomber Support from Swannington . Lost without trace (BCL [Chorley]). F/L AM Hill DFC pow, F/L GB Brooker +, rests in Dürnbach War Cem.
    85 sqn Mosquito XIX TA400 VY-J t/o 1915 BS, Hill A M F/L pow, Brooker G B F/L +, F/L Brooker lies buried in Durnbeck War Cemetery. (85 Sqn and 157 Sqn losses website)
    Missing from night intruder mission 20.10.44 (Air Britain Serials)
    A German report kindly posted by Gebhard Aders says a Mosquito crashed at 21.30 hours, Planquadrat TU 1, 2 km W Oberwittstadt, 20 km SW Megentheim, apparently due to an attack by a night fighter. However, MH can find no matching claims. Appears to have been friendly fire from a 157 Sqn aircraft. TA404 claimed to have shot down a Ju 88 at a position only 35km directly to the west of Oberwittstadt, where this Mosquito came down. German report says this Mosquito was brought down by a nightfighter, but no matching German claim has been found.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello Simon,

thank you for your quick reply and your hints - very interesting!! The friendly fire-theory could be very possible , I think we´re on the right way.

And many thanks for the report on F/L Hill, thats some nice information, which I can use well :)

Best regards

Juergen