Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with Photos & Service record. Chief Tech Terence (Terry) O'Brien 573937

Thanks

Default help with Photos & Service record. Chief Tech Terence (Terry) O'Brien 573937

I have 3 photos I want help identifying location and people in photos. I also need help in understanding my Fathers service record.

My father died on 12th Jan 1973 @ RAF Cosford. I received a copy of his service record but can't really follow it.

I also couldn't find guest account details to upload photos
    Last edited by cpob1964; 20th March 2019 at 22:15.

Thanks

Hi and welcome aboard!

Image gallery can be found in this thread:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...torial-Updates

If you would have any problem, please feel fre to contact any moderator whou will give you a hand.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default No Upload button

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    Hi and welcome aboard!

Image gallery can be found in this thread:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...torial-Updates

If you would have any problem, please feel fre to contact any moderator whou will give you a hand.

Pavel
    I have logged on to forum and followed link but I don't see the upload button. (tried in chrome fire fox & IE to no success but EDGE showed yellow sticky)
    Last edited by cpob1964; 20th March 2019 at 22:12. Reason: correction

Thanks

Default Can Anyone tell me about these Photo's

http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...90320_20005251

Can anyone advise what / where this is the only guide i have is that the back is stamped Belfast Telegraph which would indicate that it was taken in Northern Ireland, Terry O'Brien is second from right and judging by age i suspect it is in or arround 1942-45.

Who was inspecting the RAF and why any help appreciated.

The second one http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...90320_20021294 is marked on the back FOX Photos Ltd. NP57157 sorry it's upside down didn't realise when uploading.

I assume that is Elizabeth II but where or when i have no idea. This was in my view later judging by medals Terry (dad) is on far right of Picture.

The last one http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...90320_19323238 I think is some sort of passing out Photo.but any info would be great.

Thanks

First photo certainly includes a reasonably senior RN officer, and the white belts of the airmen would indicate something along the lines of "under training" (perhaps on verge of graduation?) Possibly postwar photo too. RAF officer on right has just 3 buttons above belt, nil below indicating the "postwar" pattern, but not certain when this introduced. RAF officer to left of the naval officer, has the older style jacket with 4th button BELOW the belt (the RAF officer on right has 4 too, but lower one is a simple flat button which hides BEHIND the belt).

That second one has to be a post-war photograph, judging by the roundels on those Harvards (and the berets worn by most personnel), and probably dates from 1950s, with a Meteor T.7, a humped-back Anson and what looks like a Valetta in the background. Almost certainly QE II in her best summer dress, and Prince Philip.

The 3rd photo shows a large building with a very distinctive frontage, so somebody might be along soon to tell us what it is!
    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 21st March 2019 at 05:01.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to David Duxbury For This Useful Post:

cpob1964 (21st March 2019)

Thanks

The first photo is probably a VIP Guard of Honour for the Admiral who is 'inspecting' the RAF Parade.
    It was quite normal to wear a 'Blancoed' Belt for formal parades,the 'Blanco' was a whitening substance to change the appearance of the normal webbing and belts from their normal blue/grey.

The 3rd photo has quite a number of Military Chaplains included - so perhaps taken at a military religous centre ?
    Possibly Dowdeswell Court,Glos if 1945 - 61 or Amport House,Hants if after 1961 - I have never been to either place and could not find a matching image to ID the building.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The first one shows a Vice Admiral inspecting what I think is a Guard of Honour rather than a graduation. I the background are a large number of workmen, perhaps in a shipyard, not the sort of audience you would get at a graduation parade.

I suspect the second photo was taken at the 1953 Royal Review of the RAF at Odiham.

I thought the third might have been taken at Amport House, given the number of chaplains, but it's not, nor is it either of the other two sites used by the RAF Chaplains School.

Malcolm

Thanks

I have not managed to ID the building in the 3rd photo yet !

Possibly taken during/for a Moral Leadership course ?
    Last edited by bvs; 21st March 2019 at 13:04.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Shipyard

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    The first one shows a Vice Admiral inspecting what I think is a Guard of Honour rather than a graduation. I the background are a large number of workmen, perhaps in a shipyard, not the sort of audience you would get at a graduation parade

Malcolm
    Given that the Photo is stamped Belfast Telegraph on the back it is possible that it was taken in the Belfast shipyard.

Thanks

cpob1964,

I believe that your father, Terry O'Brien was employed on Recruiting Duties in Birmingham at the time of his death, and at that time he lived in the Sgts Mess at RAF Cosford. It is some time ago and in 46 years the memory can get dimmed! I am somewhat puzzled in that his name is not recorded on the Armed Forces Memorial (GOV UK) which has a record of all servicemen killed on died since WW2. Have I got the right man?

Regards

Jim Routledge

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jimroutledge For This Useful Post: