Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCAF commando training unit

Thanks

Default RCAF commando training unit

Hi friends,

Im researching one RCAF air gunner who did Commando training in Valleyfield, Quebec. Can you help me with full name of this unit?

TIA

Milan

Thanks

RCAF Station Valleyfield was home to the No. 4 Aircrew Graduate Training School from January 1944 until the base closed in July 1944. I can't find any other RCAF units at this Station, although I think the buildings passed to the Army when the Station closed.

Thanks

Hi Bill,

thanks for your information. I found on the net couple of RCAf veterans stories who were in the same unit, but nobody mentioned full name of this unit. Should be army unit which cooperated with RCAF in survival training?

Milan

Thanks

As far as I know, the AGTS and the Aircrew Conditioning Units that partially replaced them in early 1945 were RCAF units. They used Army instructors for some parts of their courses (like the "crawling through mud while being shot at" parts). When you look into it, the Canadian forces had a long history of cooperative undertakings, starting well before the formal Integration in 1968.

Maybe Chris has more details?

Thanks

Default No. 4 A.G.T.S.

G'day Chaps

No. 4 A.G.T.S. opened its doors on the 15th of January 1944 after the Canadian Army left on the 30th of November 1943.

It ran a four week course that was supposed to prepare the airmen to look after themselves if shot down in enemy territory. The course covered many topics that gave it the appearance of an Army commando course.

No. 4 A.G.T.S. shuts its doors on the 4th of July 1944. In its place came No. 1 Reclamation Depot, whose purpose was to overhaul and repair surplus military clothing. It operated from October 1944 until circa 1948.

Bill, Valleyfield was never an R.C.A.F. Station.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks Chris. Two questions:

Were the AGTS RCAF units?

Maybe off topic, but was Valleyfield an Army Camp, or a Detachment, or what?

Thanks

Thank you very much Chris&Bill for explanation but I must repeat Bills questions too, Chris

Milan

Thanks

Default A.g.t.s.

G'day Chaps

Yes the A.G.T.S.'s were indeed R.C.A.F. units. For example, a month after No. 4 A.G.T.S. opened in Valleyfield, Quebec, it had a staff of 23 officers and 282 enlisted personnel. This was complemented by an additional eight personnel from the Canadian Army. There were some 700 students in the initial course.

Other A.G.T.S.'s were:

No. 1 Aircrew Graduates Training School - Maitland, Nova Scotia

No. 2 Aircrew Graduates Training School - Quebec City then transferred to Calgary, Alberta

No. 3 Aircrew Graduates Training School - Three Rivers, Quebec

Note: Bill, No. 47 Non-Permanent Active Militia Training Centre at Valleyfield was activated in the autumn of 1940 as an army basic training camp. I have never seen anything to indicate it was called Camp Valleyfield but have seen Valleyfield Army Camp.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thanks Chris.

Thanks

Thank you very much Chris.