Thread: J17298, F/L EA Magee (Canadian), 247 Sqn

Thanks

Default J17298, F/L EA Magee (Canadian), 247 Sqn

On 3 Feb 1945, F/L Magee force landed Typhoon ZY-G MN471. I am trying to pinpoint the location of his force landing. But there seems to be some discrepancy between 2 descriptions of his force landing.
    From handwritten note in F/L Magee's Flying Log Book - "FORCED DOWN BEHIND ENEMY LINES ON FEB 3/45 DUE TO ENGINE FAILURE FORCE LANDED JUST OUTSIDE TEGELE (I am certain this is - in fact - Telgte) IN GERMANY - WALKED BY DAY & NIGHT FOR 4 DAYS REACHING GREVEN JUST OFF HOLLAND BORDER - CAPTURED HERE BY CIVILIANS …" (Note: Preceding capitalized as it was by F/L Magee)

From letter, dated 6 Feb 45, S/L JH Bryant (247 Sqn) to Mrs O Magee (F/L Magee's mother) - "Unfortunately he could not make base but had to force land in enemy territory, about 15 miles South East of Munster …"

"15 miles South East of Munster" puts F/L Magee near a place called Sendenhorst. Sendenhorst is approx 20 km south of Telgte (where F/L Magee wrote that he force landed). Being near Sendenhorst (as compared to Telgte as written by F/L Magee) adds 20 km to his cold & perilous trek to Greven.

Is there any way to confirm exactly where F/L Magee force landed on 3 Feb 1945?

Which office or organization in the German government would keep records of F/L Magee's force landing?

Which non-government org might have info about F/L Magee's force landing?

Was there a postwar effort by Allied governments to record/recover all Allied aircraft crash/force landing sites? Where are the records of these efforts held?

Any info about the location of F/L Magee's force landing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you -very much - for your assistance.

Thanks

Hi John,

the ORB has some info but I am afraid not so detailed as you are looking for

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8396902

Click on the preview and check the second page.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

As for his escape the report may be held in TNA, AIR40 (if exists or survived) but I was unable to find it in the TNA catalogue.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi,

There is an old thread: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...p-o-andy-magee

Mojmir

Thanks

You will likely find what you are looking for in Emmett Andrew Magee's 1950's claims for WWII POW reparations from the Canadian government.

One cheque was sent to him in December 1953 and a second and final one in January 1959.

In order to get the money the ex-POW had to provide a narrative of how he came to be captured.

These were all declassified in late 2017, whether the man has been dead 20 years or not. I've obtained a few and they are worth the 40cents/pg the LAC charges,

These documents can be found in the RG117. Here's the link for Magee: http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...128784,1121975

If interested, click on "Copies and Reproductions" to the right of his name. Takes about 30 days.

Also, as he has been deceased since 1990 his service record is available without restrictions (save things like dates of birth of wife and/or children)

Regards,
    Dave

Thanks

Dave

Thank you - very much for this.

Was at LAC (Ottawa) a couple of months ago & reviewed Magee's pers file. Saw nothing about POW reparations in his pers file.

But will make contact with LAC to get access to records about POW reparations.

John Dean

Thanks

John,

I only found out about this when I applied for the service files of a couple of ex-POWs. With the CDR of files they sent me, they included the reference for the reparations money.

Seeing as you are in the area you'll need this to have them pull up the correct file:

Magee, Emmett Andrew. 1953/12-1959/01. File.
    RG117. Volume/box number: 377. File number: AAZ 5798.

Even given the value of money today, 20 cents a day doesn't seem like proper compensation for each day in a 40/8 boxcar.

Dave

Thanks

Dave

Thank you - very much - for this.

What these guys did is beyond belief. Following is a transcription of one (the shorter of the two) of two handwritten notes - about his evasion, capture & imprisonment - in F/L Magee's Flying Log Book,
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#000000]“FORCED DOWN BEHIND ENEMY LINES ON FEB 3/45DUE TO ENGINE FAILURE FORCE LANDED JUSTOUTSIDE TEGELE IN GERMANY – WALKED BY DAY & NIGHT FOR 4 DAYS REACHINGGREVEN JUST OFF HOLLAND BORDER – CAPTURED HERE BY CIVILIANS AFTER ESCAPING FROMTHEM ONCE – FIRED AT MANY TIMES BY CIVILIANS & ALSO MISTREATED TAKEN TO GREVEN CIVIL JAIL FOR A DAY (RATS& WATER) REMOVED TO MUNSTER/HANDORF A/F FOR 1 DAY - MOVED TO FRANKFURT –ON-MAINE FOR INTERIGATION(20 DAYS IN SOLITARY CONFINEMENT (NO FOOD) – MOVED TO WETZLER CAMP FOR 4 DAYS – MOVED TO LUFT III ATNURNBURG FORCED TO MARCH TO MOOSBURG(STALAG VIIA) STRAFFED ON WAY BY AMERICAN PLANES – ESCAPED WITH 3 CHUMS BUTCAPTURED NEAR AMERICAN LINES - TREATED ROUGH FROM HERE ON. – ARRIVED ATMOOSBURG WHERE LIBERATED ON 29.4.45 BY PATTON’S 3RD ARMY (LT/COLLAND) FLOWN BACK TO ENGLAND ON NIGHT OF MAY 10TH LANDING MAY 11TH(MY BIRTHDAY) WHAT A DAY!!” [/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]John Dean