Thread: Ditching date Coastal Command or Training Command

Thanks

Default Ditching date Coastal Command or Training Command

Maybe I can ask, you just might know.
    3/10/44 is a date for a ditching involving F/Sgt Charles Hendy (Later Master Gunner with post war service into 1966).
    By elimination I am pointing towards a C.C. or possibly training incident but keep drawing blanks.
    Losses on the forum for this month list several aircraft types obviously only some carried A/Gunners but again no hit.....
    Can anyone assist.
    Thank you Colin.

Thanks

Colin (et al),
    Forgive me for going modern.
    Anybody with info on a "Hendy" who was with the Mobile Met Unit on TMV Rangatira on Op CORPORATE, would they pse contact me. Lost his details and uniforming!
    TIA
    PeterDavies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Colin and Peter

Quick bit of digging and it looks like a/c E of 270 Squadron is your candidate. Reference https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8398478 page 1 which refers to the loss of aircraft with F/O B.A.Harper and crew, all saved.

Air Britain publication, RAF Aircraft EA100-EZ999, gives a/c serial EJ164, a Sunderland III lost at 04.57N 03.35W. Whilst the crew is not listed, looking at the previous months ORB https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8398477 on page 4 there is a listing for Harper’s crew where your chap F/Sgt C Hendy appears as an AG.

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Pierre.
    The skill in tracking these problems is quite impressive, despite my best efforts I struggle. It is rather strange seeing a Sunderland as having ditched in the sea and lost, thank you for your detective work.

Thanks

Hello,

A bit more information on Sunderland III EJ164:

10 Sunderlands Mk.III built by Short & Harland Ltd, Belfast under Contract B.76674/40:

EJ163 - EJ172 (10 a/c.)

EJ164.

C/n.: SH.774.
    Take on Charge: Wig Bay 11 Nov 43.
    To 308 FTU 24 Dec 43.
    To Calshot 29 Jan 44.
    Delivered to 270 Sqn ("E") 16 Feb 44.
    Ditched in South Atlantic at 04.57N 03.35W 3 Oct 44; crew rescued by hospital ship "Chantilly".

See:
    Ocean Sentinel The Short Sunderland.
    Hamlin,John F (with Phil Butler, Peter Marston, Dave Partington & Douglas Rough).
    Staplefield:Air-Britain (Historians),2012.
    p.115

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd April 2019 at 01:56.

Thanks

Flying boats forced down in the open sea have a long history of breaking up and sinking - their structures tend to be too lightly built to stand up to the prolonged wrenching and twisting, and under-wing floats also tend to collapse leading to capsizing. Even if flying boats manage to alight successfully on open sea, take offs can be even more hazardous than the alighting.
    David D

Thanks

David Col spot on with the identity and David's account of the troubles that Sunderland's could find with torn away wing floats appears to relate to the fate of EJ164 turning over and eventually sinking.
    Thank you....