Thread: IAF Hunter Delivery Crash 23rd Nov 1958

Thanks

Default IAF Hunter Delivery Crash 23rd Nov 1958

For Jagan anyone else interested

" Date 1958-12-24 (sic) Hunter F56 BA-265 Crashed at Jamnagar "Chute deploy on TO Jamnagar, Cr Plt killed . RSQH: 242. SHRI M. VALIULLA: Will the Minister of DEFENCE be pleased to state which Government will bear the loss of the jet aircraft piloted by an R.A.F. officer which crashed recently near Jamnagar? THE DEPUTY MINISTER OF DEFENCE (SHRI K. RAGHURAMAIAH) : The Government of India, as it was being ferried on behalf of it.. We made our own arrangements to ferry it and the ferrying pilot was an employee for the time being of the Government of India.."

Date was actually 23rd Nov 1958

RAF JET PILOT KILLED A Air Force pilot was killed when a Hunter Jei tighter crashed in llanies near Jamnagar Western India. The Indian Defence Ministry said today. ...
    Published: Tuesday 25 November 1958
    Newspaper: Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail

"Flt Sgt L H Jones the sole occupant of the aircraft one of four Hunters being flown
    from Britain for the Indian Air Force Crashed a few minutes after taking off from Jamnagar where they
    had halted for refuelling

This makes him

http://veterans.mod.uk/roll-of-honou...SerialNo=R5242

Laurence Howard

Surname
    JONES

Forenames/Initials
    Laurence Howard

Rank
    FS

Service
    Royal Air Force

Service Number

Station
    RAF Benson

Date of Birth
    03 July 1923

Date of Death
    23 November 1958

Cemetery Name
    Yourk Road Cemetery

Cemetery Address
    New Delhi
    India

2. The Following User Says Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

Jagan (4th April 2019)

Thanks

Thanks Paul. Jones was missing from "Category Five"/ Colin Cummings book. Perhaps because this was an aircraft belonging to a foreign air force.

Thanks

Jagan

Date of incident was Sunday 23rd Nov 1958 not 24th Paul

India jet crash [ARTICLE]
    Page 16
    The Singapore Free Press 26 November 1958 Reuter Microfilm Reel NL2452
    India jet Crash A RAF pilot was killed when a Hunter jet fighter Crashed m flames near Jamnagar, Western India, on Sunday night. the Indian Defence Ministry said yesterday. Reuter

Thanks

Thanks

I will fix that tonight - i ran a data refresh on my post-47 IAF accidents and losses - with extra help in getting the info together. nearly 1600 aircraft losses listed.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Da...ts/listing.php when I refresh my pre-47/Ww2 losses for IAF/Indian pilots, the count will be around 2600+

Thanks

Additional detail from Air Marshal S K S Ramdas

This particular aircraft was the No 2 in a pair of Hunters being ferried from the UK and were on their last leg, Jamnagar to Ambala. They had both lined up on the R/W at Jamnagar and the No 2, having given a "thumbs up" to his leader, was lowering his left hand to the throttle when the cuff of his left glove inadvertently tripped the tail parachute switch to the "stream" position. The ATC promptly told him that his tail parachute had streamed but the pilot did not seem to aware of what had happened, in spite of him lagging behind his leader, and continued with the takeoff. Both aircraft had 4 D/Ts and the No 2 could not lift off and overshot the R/W with obvious results. As a consequence of this fatal accident, all later aircraft had the tail parachute switch fitted with a guard so that the left glove cuff would not inadvertently snag the switch. Only a deliberate operation with the left index finger could operate the switch.

Thanks

Jagan

Thanks for posting this fascinating information from the Air Marshal

How interesting that a simple design flaw could cause the loss of life and an aircraft

Though until it happened I suppose now one realised this

I wonder if all chute deployment switches now have a cover regardless

Please pass on my thanks to him

Kind regards

Paul