Thread: "X Raids," "Secret Targets," (56 Sqn) & Typhoon Emergency Pack

Thanks

Default "X Raids," "Secret Targets," (56 Sqn) & Typhoon Emergency Pack

In the "Duty" column of his Flying Log Book (FLB), F/L EA Magee describes a number of operations as X Raid. Sometimes these X RAIDS happened in combination with other duties, for example "Night X Raid" (15 May 1943), "X-RAID & AIR SEA RESCUE" (13 June 1943). The last "X Raid" listed in F/L Magee's FLB happened on 21 Oct 1943. Does anyone know what an "X Raid" was?

Starting 14 Dec 1943 F/L Magee listed seven operations involving a "SECRET TARGET." The FLB line entry for the first of these ops (14 Dec 1943) is "BOMBING IN FRANCE ... SECRET TARGET - FAIR RESULTS." For 3 Jan 1944 the FLB entry reads "RHUBARB - LEADER … SHOT UP SECRET TARGET WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS" The final "SECRET TARGET" op is recorded on 7 Jan 1944 & is described as "BOMBING IN FRANCE … SECRET TARGET. SMASHING RESULTS". Does anyone know what the "Secret Target" was?

All of the "X Raids" & "Secret Target" ops happened while F/L Magee was with 56 Sqn.

What food, medicine & equipment would be contained in the emergency (bail out) pack of a 247 Sqn Typhoon in Feb 1945?

Thank you - very much - for your patience & assistance.

John Dean

Thanks

Hello
    Secret Target should be the flying bombs launch sites (Noballs). The Squadron ORB should confirm this (watermarked pages available on the National Archives website).
    I've researched these a while back, because there were some losses in my area during these raids. Don't have the détails handy at my work (I'm typing this during my lunch break).
    Not sure for X raid. I've often seen X country for cross-country (usually training raids over U.K., by Bomber Command crews Under training).
    For the emergency pack, don't you confuse with the "evasion kit" ? There would be en emergency pack in North Africa, with supplies of water, etc, but I've never heard of that for North-West Europe.
    Joss

Thanks

Joss

Thank you - very much - for this.

When I checked 56 Sqn ORB it described F/L Magee's "Secret Targets" only as "Constructional Works" at Eclimeux, Gueschart, Embry & Mesnil for ops on respectively 3, 4, 5, & 7 Jan 1944.

For emergency pack I am referring to what any Typhoon would have carried in Feb 45. A friend was speaking with a surviving Typhoon pilot yesterday & the most this pilot could remember was that his emergency pack had chocolate bars & high energy bars. I am just looking for more detail in what was carried in these emergency packs.

Really appreciate your assistance.

John Dean

Thanks

Hello

Glad to have been of some help. My own interest is mostly focused on the losses of No. 56 Squadron on the 3rd of January 1944, F/O Robert Gordon Crosby R.C.A.F., who evaded capture, and which is quite well documented. He was the wingman of F/L Hawkins. The second loss is F/O S.M. McGregor, for which I'm struggling a bit.
    About evasion kits, you should get a better idea with these pages :
    https://www.google.fr/search?ei=fY2n...iz.SMgy1ZBBvSU

The high energy bars were often called "horlicks", or "horlick bars".

Joss

Thanks

Joss

Once again, thank you - very much - for this.

Magee wrote about Crosby in his FLB. The note in his FLB for 3 Jan 1944 is "SHOT UP "SECRET TARGET IN FRANCE WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS BING CROSBY AND McGREGOR MISSING FROM ATTACKS". There is another note entered just above the original entry for 3 Jan. This note says, (in big capital letters) "CROSBY NOW SAFE!" There is yet another note connected by a line to the original entry for 3 Jan. This note says "NOW SAFE HAVING ESCAPED 5-9-44."

If U send e-mail address, I will send copy of Magee's FLB for this timeframe.

Were U ever able to locate the exact locations of force/crash landings of aircraft in you area?

John Dean

Thanks

Hello

My e-mail is JossLeclercq AT orange DOT fr. (replace by the obvious). Otherwise it's in my profile.

Thanks in advance for the logbook page.

Crosby bailed out at 1000 ft, his evasion is well told in his evasion report, with map coordinates that I converted with echodelta translator. He was eventually taken in charge by the Fillerin family in the village of Renty who have helped tens of evaders. He stayed quite a long time in the Pas-de-Calais area, and reached Gibraltar on 28th April. S/L HAll, CO of 56, recommended him for a MiD. Crosby went back to operational flying, and became the CO of 439 Squadron, and on 22nd January 1945 he's posted MIA. After 36 hours in freezing températures, he's captured and ends the war in PoW camps. He was awarded the DFC with effect from 23rd March 1945.
    Stuart McGregor R.N.Z.A.F. evaded capture for 5 months, and was captured in Brussels in June. But he doesn't give détails about that period in his PoW questionnaire. I'd like to know more about him.

Joss