Thread: Combat Reports 1944/1945

Thanks

Default Combat Reports 1944/1945

I am researching my Uncles war service. He flew 29 operations as Air Bomber August 1944 to 28th January 1945 when his aircraft crashed (probbaly shot down). I have identified four combat reports filed by his crew during this period but always struggled to identify the questions. Going through reports for 153 Squadron following my last visit to NA I think I have found a report with the questions attached. I have posted the questions below can anyone more knowledgeable than me confirm they are correct. Also the questions to 5, 7 and 27 were not included so could anyone please confirm the question. From my research it appears these questions may only be relevant Aug 44 to Jan 45 as earlier reports I have seen have a different number of questions and/or format.

COMBAT REPORT
    1. DATE: TARGET: GROUP: SQDN:
    2. AIRCRAFT TYPE AND MARK:
    3. SPECIAL EQUIPMENT CARRIED. (Are there subsets covering questions SERVICEABLE/TRAINED)
    4. TIME: HEIGHT: HEADING: POSITION:
    5. (Does this ask something like STAGE OF OPERATION? Some answers were 'Outward'; 'Target Area'; 'on Track'; '3 miles off track')
    6. WEATHER: (Are there subsets on cloud, visibility etc.)
    7. (Does it ask something like ENEMY ACTIVITY? Some answers included 'Searchlights', 'Flak'; 'Fighter Flares')
    8. FIRST WARNING:
    9. WHICH EQUIPMENT WARNED:
    10. DID EQUIPMENT WARN LATER:
    11. FIRST VISUAL: POSITION:
    12. WHICH MEMBER OF CREW OBTAINED FIRST VISUAL:
    13. TYPE OF E.A.: NO: LIGHTS:
    14. DIRECTION OF ATTACK:
    15. DIRECTION OF BREAKAWAY OF E.A.:
    16. COMBAT MANOEUVRE TAKEN:
    17. DID FIGHTER FIRE: OPENING RANGE: CLOSING RANGE:
    18. WHO OPENED FIRE FIRST:
    19. (I think top line is AIRCREW POSITION)
    NAME
    ROUNDS FIRED
    OPENING RANGE
    CLOSING RANGE
    STOPPAGES
    TRAINING AGS
    OTU & HCU
    20. WERE YOU ABLE TO CLEAR STOPPAGES:
    21. WHICH CREW POSITION WAS SEARCHING THE SKY:
    22. LOSS OF HEIGHT:
    23. MECHANICAL DEFECTS PREVIOUSLY SUSTAINED AFFECTING COMBAT:
    24. DAMAGE TO BOMBER:
    25. CASUALTIES TO CREW:
    26. DAMAGE TO FIGHTER:
    27. (Is this question CLAIM?)
    Last edited by 2004nigelf; 8th April 2019 at 13:35. Reason: updating information

Thanks

Hi,

Question 5 on the standard pro-forma concerned the stage of the mission when the combat occurred - did it occur before reaching the target, in the target area, or after leaving the target. Also, where did the combat occur in relation to the briefed route. "Outward / Target Area / Homeward" "On Track / Off Track / Early Return"

Question 7 is as you state - what enemy activity was seen in the area immediately prior to the combat. "Searchlight activity, flares, flak etc prior to or during combat"

Question 27 does relate to an air combat claim. "Fighter claimed Destroyed / Probably Destroyed / Damaged"

Cheers

Rod

PS - from memory, this style of Combat Report pro-forma came into force in around April 1944.