Thread: Small Bomb Containers / WW2

Thanks

Default Small Bomb Containers / WW2

I am a little confused about the workings of the S.B.C.'s used for incendiaries : did the S.B.C. stay in the bomb bay and return with the aircraft to be reused after its load had been dropped? Or did the SBC and its load fall from the aircraft and somehow release its load of 4lb or 30 lb incendiaries? If so, how were they released from the SBC after they left the aircraft?
    I have tried to find clarification online and in my books, but no luck, so asking for some help...
    Many thanks as always,
    Clint

Thanks

Clint.
    The SBCs were packed by hand and connected to the bomb bay flooring. They never left the aircraft only the content dropped away.

Thanks

Hello,

Brief description here:

http://www.211squadron.org/blenheim_armament.html

Col.

Thanks

MODS. PUT A 24-HR SELF-DELETE ON THIS!

Clint/Colin/Col,
    The problem persisted until well after WW2. The Harriers had a Bomb Carrier into which were fitted 4 x 28lb Practice (Smoke Marker) Bombs. Each bomb could be released separately - as could the carrier! 1 Sqn were doing bombing practice on Feldom Rages in the mid-70's. They were doing Dive Toss. This young man pressed the wrong 'tit' at the wrong point/speed in his flight path! The Bomb Carrier (+ 4 x bombs) was last seen climbing on its way to Richmond, Yorks! The FAC (and I know who it was!) is reputed to have said to his Cpl Driver "Go into Richmond, and ask if we can have our bombs back?"
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!