Thread: Wg Cdr J F Dilworth

Thanks

Default Wg Cdr J F Dilworth

Could anyone provide me the citation for Dilworth’s DFC awarded 24 Feb 44 (LG 21 Dec 45, p6207)
    I have many questions regarding J F D and would appreciate as much help as possible... volunteers?
    Thanks All
    Matt

Thanks

Hello Matt,

I think there's a few of us digging around for this citation at the moment!! I've searched TNA's Discovery with no joy, and Carter's invaluable tome offers no clues. Likewise, 100 Squadron's ORB provides nothing of note.

What is potentially significant I think is the date of the LG (December 1945) in relation to the date his DFC was awarded with effect from (24th of February 1944) which also happens to be the date he was killed. That's a gap of very nearly two years. I'm beginning to suspect that there is, in fact, no citation for his DFC, but that it was part of a bigger group of awards for airmen killed during WW2. Have a look at the LG page for Dilworth's citation, and to a man, they were all killed in the first few months of 1944.

Perhaps Hugh Halliday can shed some light on this one?

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

DILWORTH, John Frederick, A/W/C (40044, Royal Air Force, since deceased) - No.100 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 21 December 1945, with effect from 24 February 1944. Born 1914 in Sydney, Australia; educated at Sydney Technical High School. Served as an RAAF Air Cadet from July 1936 to July 1937 when commissioned in RAF. Citation in Air Ministry Bulletin. "This officer has completed, as pilot and captain of aircraft, many successful operations against the enemy, in the course of which he has invariably displayed high skill, fortitude and devotion to duty."

I fear that for a more detailed recommendation one will have to search through AIR 2 records.

Thanks

Many thanks Hugh, I was confident you'd be able to shed at least a little light on it for us. Would you have any advice as to where to start looking in AIR 2?

Thanks again and best wishes,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Greg, Hugh - thank you so much guys!
    Greg - pm me your email - I have something for you mate!!