Thread: Michael Maton passed on.

Thanks

Default Michael Maton passed on.

Hi All,

I saw on another forum that Michael Maton passed away on 13 Apri 2019 aged 85. His books on gallantry medals to airmen, as well to other members of the armed forces, are a great asset to anyone’s research. He will be sadly missed.

RIP.

John.

Thanks

Hello,

His publisher, Token, paid the following tribute to Michael.

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/news/article/1211/medal

The great sorrow, apart from his loss, is the fact that many of Michael's works were very limited editions and did not receive wide distribution. A lot of them can only be found in State and Institutional libraries, with the balance in the hands of dedicated collectors, who would never let them go. His book on Australian DFC's is a good example. Only 150 copies ever published. Treasures. Vale, Mr Maton.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th April 2019 at 06:22.

Thanks

A very sad loss indeed. Michael was one of those whose dedication and long labour resulted in works that, though they may have all the attraction of a telephone book to the lay person, have proved such essential references for the serious researcher. I know from personal experience that they have, and continue to, save me much time when looking to zero in on London Gazette references - or quickly establish that there is no entry at all for someone who is not mentioned in the LG instead of wasting time searching for same in that publication in vain - or simply speedily confirm a service number or full name, etc. Michael's dedication to accuracy was second to none, making his books among the most reliable ever published.

Errol

Thanks

I am one of those with a few of his books with which I shall never part until my own passing. He was a wonderful researcher, all the more valued because he was unique.

Thanks

I, too, was saddened to hear of Michael's passing. As a researcher, I have found his books an invaluable tool set. I send my sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Jonny

Thanks

Sad news indeed - I have his "Honour the Air Forces", an invaluable source if you are looking for an LG reference.

He will be sadly missed in our field. My condolences to his friends and family.

RIP

Allan
    Allan Hillman