Thread: Accident Reports & Courts of Enquiry

Thanks

Default Accident Reports & Courts of Enquiry

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to obtain the Accident Reports or results of the Courts of Enquiry (or extracts of) for several Blenheim crashes at RAF Habbaniya (Dhibban) in 1938 please?

Regards,
    Simon

Thanks

Hi as I know Flying Accident Cards (FAC) are available in the RAF Mueum Hendon.
    Try to contact them via their website.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Crash records

The Department of Research & Information Services (DoRIS) archive at Hendon should have AM Form 1180 for the crashes on their micro film holdings. I have in the past requested prints from their website:

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/research/contact.cfm
    http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/research/

Give them all the information you can.

I stand to be corrected here but the courts of enquiry records are not so easily available, I think it has been determined that the Air Historical Branch hold them but they release them only to next of kin etc. In the past 12 months I have seen where the son of an airman was sent a redacted copy of the Form 765 "Report on Flying Accident or Forced landing not attributable to enemy action" but it had been typed out anew on say MS Word and the airmens serial numbers (including his fathers) had been removed along with their injuries and flying hours.

There may then have been Form 412 'Procedings of Court of Enquiry or investigation. I have gotten these in the service files of RCAF men from during the war.

The F765 and F412 may not be prewar reports, or may be in a different format. Mmy limited knowledge extends to wartime only.

Definatly contact Hendon for the F1180.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Actually F.1180 is a very basic document, which does not provide too many details. I have seen few detailed accident reports (do not recall form number), they were very nice, with details like airframe and engine numbers and flight time, but those were rare find indeed. It would be great if they are extant, even if at AHB.

Thanks

Thanks Pavel, Dennis and Franek.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
    Simon