Thread: Post war A.F.C. and A.F.M. awards - citations?

Thanks

Default Post war A.F.C. and A.F.M. awards - citations?

Hello everyone

I've been doing a bit of digging on the FindMyPast website's newspaper archives, and came across several A.F.C. and A.F.M. awards made as part of New Years Honours in the 1950s and 1960s. Also a few who received the Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air (is there an official abbreviation for that...?).

Would these have had citations? And if so, are they available somewhere?

Many thanks

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

The official abbreviation was QCVSA. Yes, AFCs, AFMs and QCVSAs all required a recommendation/citation - some of the last mentioned started life as one of the former but were downgraded by higher authority. Whilst some of the files pertaining to these are in the National Archives, a goodly number of the 1950s files were destroyed by Air Ministry before they had a chance to go to the NA. And whilst many of the 1960 files exist, they have not as yet - on my last check - been released for general perusal. I collect decorations and medals to RAF personnel and have a number of groups with these awards but some are un-researchable because of the destruction of files by a Civil Service weeding exercise and for others I have to wait patiently. It is all a bit disappointing. When in the MOD in the late 1970s I was shown the authorised destruction certificates - and in most cases the official authorising the destruction was also the witness to that destruction.

Jim

Thanks

Jim

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply. Such a shame that the files were destroyed, but I suppose that time they were thought surplus to requirements. At least the 1960s files may see the light of day sometime.

Regards

Simon