Thread: Duties Wop/AG II

Thanks

Default Duties Wop/AG II

Hello,
    I have bee researching No.207 Sqn and found many crew entires for a Wop/AG II. I know the RAF F541 must be treated with caution as the crews were not always listed in the order they were meant to be. I have found a Wop/AG II as Bomb Aimer, Air Gunner and Wop. I have found find many entries in the Bomb Aimer's position. Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance

Thanks

Hi, there was WOP/AG Grade II and WOP/AG Grade I.
    WOP/AG Grade II was the trade after finish of training, airman can be upgraded to WOP/AG Grade I after some period of operational duty and after an exam according to the Air Publication A. P. 1112 - Regulations for Trade Testing. The exam contains:
    1. theory according to RAF Signals Manual, Part III and Signals Office (RAF Signals Manual, Part I).
    2. setting and manipulation with wireless set including MF D/F and HF D/F, power supply, minor repairs etc.
    3. Morse - receiving/sending, Aldis lamp
    4. theory of electricity and magnetism needed for point 2.

But otherwise - in your case - I would expect the F541 was simply filled improperly.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Snowy, My late father volunteered joining the RAF in 1939 training at Evanton to become a W/O-A/G (Frederick Ernest Crawley No630692) and after spending time with 115Sqdn joined 207 Sqdn at Cranfield 21/10/39 - 18/04/40. Unfortunately other than his log books I have know details of his service and so my question to you is as you have been researching 207 Sqdn do you have any photos/paperwork that might relate to him and if so whether you could send me copies?
    Many thanks, Fred Crawley