Thread: Initials H.D. ( F/S Henry Charles Dent)?

Thanks

Default Initials H.D. ( F/S Henry Charles Dent)?

Dear friends of this forum,

I am looking for some help.
    In 2017 i've adopted four WW2 wargraves here in the south west of Holland.
    One of those graves is the grave of an unknown flight sergeant.
    He was found on the 19th of june, 1944, in the south west of Holland.
    When his body was being identified, they found a few personal things on the body.
    There was a wrist watch, a self made name tag ( without a name or number), and there was a cigarette holder with the initals H.D. on it.

I started to look for information, but that wasn't easy ....
    At some point i got a link from the Chorly website.
    The person who sent that link, put the initials H and D in the search bars, and there were a total of 60 (!) names from wich the first name started with H, and the last name with D.
    When i looked for the right date and year, i found a name: Henry Charles Dent, Flight Sergeant.
    He served the RAF at 140 squadron.
    He was killed on the 6th of june 1944, when his plane( a Mosquito DH 98 MKXVI number MM279) was hit by flak from the Germans.
    The plane crashed in the Northsea near Calais.
    He, and his pilot F/O Frank George Rudduck, were on a PR mission flight, looking for V1 and V2 launch places in France, and were on mission to Cambrai and Montididier.
    F/O Rudduck was found on the 18th of june. His body washed up ashore in the south west of Holland, near Cadzand.

Someone else has allready been looking for more information about this plane crash, and thought it could be F/S Dent (initials H.D.), but he never got any reply from the RAF, or from the MOD in England.
    Now, if i would ask what you all think of this, what could be the change of this being F/S Dent, who is buried in this unknowngrave wich i've adopted?
    I don't know what else to do to find out if it could be him.

I have three handwritten red cross books, from wich one holds the date of 19th of june 1944, and the information about what they found on the body, as mentioned earlier in this message.
    Question is: could there ever be any clearence if this is the F/S?
    The gravestone says that the person was a F/S, and that he was found on the 19th of june 1944.
    F/O Rudduck was found on the 18th of june 1944, on the beach of Cadzand (Zeeland), and they were in the same plane ....
    What chances are there, that they would have been together all the time, from the moment when they crashed (6th of june 1944), untill the moment they were found, on the 18th and on the 19th of june 1944 ?

It would be so nice to be sure that it IS him .... although i understand that it is very difficult to prove.
    If anyone of you have any ideas on what to do or try, please let me know.

Best regards,

Leon Hilleman.
    Middelburg,
    Holland.

Thanks

Hi Leon,

welcome aboard!
    I am pretty sure some of the members would give you some anwers based on their own experience.
    But I would be quite sceptic - your research results look reasonably BUT as you have stzated - there is no real proof. I think that without a real piece of evidence or DNA match with a family members (if known) the CWGC would not be willing to make any actions.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

I am affraid of that also Pavel.
    I understand that the CWGC does not open graves here in Holland for an DNA test.
    If there would be enough evidence that even the MOD in England says oke it's him, then the cwgc is willing to place an other gravestone.
    Although it will be very difficult, or even impossible, i want to try it anyway.

Thanks

I think Leon that you are right. I hope someone would have his own eperience with the casualty matching with grave of uknown airman and would be able to give you any advices what you can try.
    I am pleased by your interest, verve and fact you are taking the indetification so seriously.
    Good luck I will keep my fingers crossed.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Leon, I came acrross page on CWGC site dealing with indetificationa dn there is a sepcial form for download.
    https://www.cwgc.org/about-us/commemorations
    Maybe it can be of any use to you?

Pavel

Thanks

Leon.

Could just as easily have been: 1032035 F/Sgt Herbert DOOTSON RAFVR.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...tson,-herbert/

https://verliesregister.studiegroepl...rea=&airfield=

Best of luck. Hard to prove, one way or the other.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th May 2019 at 03:03.

Thanks

Hi Leon,

If you go to the CWGC web site and look for F C Rudduck grave registration, then at the bottom of that page his grave registration report you will see he is in grave 8 and in grave 5, is an unknown British solider, Graves 6 & 7 are vacant and grave is an unknown British sailor. Is the your unknown F/Sgt near Rudduck’s grave.

I have for many years been working on a similar story, on 6 July 1944 a 455 Sqn Beaufighter NE348 was shot down attacking a convoy off the Dutch coast, on the 8/8/44 the body of Navigator F/O F G Dodd 152529 washed ashore and was identified and he was buried in Dunes Cemetery Juist. On the 2/10/44 another body washed up on the same place and was buried next to him. Both bodies were after the war moved to Sage War Cemetery and lie in Plot 5 Row C graves 2 & 3. If you look at Dodd’s grave registration form and the unknown airman next to him both dates of death are 6 July 1944. I’m certain that the body washed ashore on the 2/10/44 and buried next to Dodd’s in both Dunes and Sage is that of the pilot F/O W M Barbour 414380 RAAF.

Regards,

John.