Thread: Flash Bomb for night photography 1941-1942

Thanks

Default Flash Bomb for night photography 1941-1942

Hi all,

I have seen several reports when Wellingtons carried cameras and flash bombs in bomb bay. They were dropped together with the bombs or later and the navigator/bomb aimer took a photo or more BUT there is always an exception.
    There is a Night photographic Record of three Wellingtons on 9.1.1942 when Brest was raided when there were no flash bombs carried by the Wellingtons in question. I have already excluded a typo in record as there are few of them and all of them stated only 6x 500lb SAP - one report show even numbers of used slips in the bomb bay. Night photographic Records show the flash was dropped independently and 2, 4, and 5 mins after the last bomb.

So may question is - were there any other flash bombs/flares which may be dropped manually through the flare chute by Wireless Operator?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

As is normal, I can't locate my notes on this. As far as I can recall the photo-flash bomb was dropped with the main bomb load and was timed to go off either after a certain amount on time or at a pre-arranged height. The idea being that it would be within the limits of the fixed downward camera when it went off. I suspect the camera shutter was either left open or set off on bomb release so that the shutter could be left open or just clicked at the correct time. Duration of flash unknown.

The flare chute was, I believe, only used for coloured flares for signalling, i.e. colours of the day when flying over friendly territory when they weren't being very friendly. Other items may have been marine markers (aluminium dye canister/packet or smoke markers), leaflets (I think) and later "window".

When "chemical weapons" were dropped I suspect the bomb-bay was used. These weapons were the Elsans, occasionally dropped by a few crews, which prompted complaints from the Germans to the Swiss about the allies using chemical weapons. I assume the crew agreed thathey had no further use for it on that trip.

Thanks

Hi,

AFAIK flare chute was used for parachute flares over the target when they need to indetify the target. According to the reports from ORBs etc, it was standard procedure in 1941-1942.
    So I was thinking that it can be done also with the photo flash...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz