Thread: IFF installation

Thanks

Default IFF installation

Hi,

Was IFF fitted as standard to all aircraft at the manufacturers prior to front line service in 1939/1940?

218 Squadron was having IFF fitted / tested into its Blenheims in September 1940, was this normal.

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

From my research into bombing ranges it would seem that IFF was being fitted to operational fighters and bombers first in the early part of the war and it did seem that some operational units had to wait for IFF to be retro-fitted. With the fall of France and the increase in danger to UK coastal airspace buffer zones were setup along the east and south coasts and no training flights were to be permitted in the outer red zone neither were non IFF aircraft allowed to fly in that zone. The air space in the red zone was controlled by Fighter Command and bomber lanes through it were devised to minimise the traces on radar so that it would be easier to spot hostiles.

Training was moved west and north so it wouldn't be hampered unduly but it was some time before IFF was fitted to most aircraft, especially the non-operational ones. I haven't found out when IFF was fitted to all aircraft, if indeed it was, or whether it was factory installed, or installed at MU's. After Barbarossa the restrictions were relaxed on training aircraft but I don't know if this meant IFF was no longer installed by default.

Sorry if this is a bit woolly but I only came across it when I found that many east coast ranges stopped being used in 1940.

Thanks

PNK,

Thank you for your reply, it fills in the gaps.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

I believe that equipment military equipment such as radios, IFF, radar etc was fitted at MUs not by the aircraft manufacturer

However, if aircraft were already in service, then 'Special Equipment' parties would visit units to install or update equipment

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 4th May 2019 at 09:26. Reason: Extra info

Thanks

I believe that IFF was not available at the start of the war, hence the incident known as the Battle of Barking Creek. Photos of Hurricanes before and in the Battle of France do not show the aerials. I'm sorry but I don't have date for its introduction other than some time after the middle of 1940 - so September for 218 Sq seems quite logical.