Thread: Pilots wedding

Thanks

Default Pilots wedding

Hi,

A bit if a strange request, but here goes.

I'm trying to trace details of George Archibald Marshall Pryde's (32232) wedding. The only info I have is from the CWGC that gives his next of kin as mother and father and husband of Honor Brown Pryde of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

George was born in 1910 at St Machar Aberdeenshire. He joined the RAF on a Short Service Coimmission in September 1932, aged 22. I have details of his promotions etc through the London Gazette.

I don't know his wifes maiden name, although I suspect it may be Brown. I've tried various online Geneaology sites but no luck so far.

George was killed ferrying a Blenheim from France to Malta on 19 June 1940. Before that he flew with 21 Squadron on operations over France during the Blitzkreig.

Apart from a mention in an ORB did the RAF have a specific department that kept a track of marraiges, births deaths etc, and is this easily accessable?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks

Hello Alex
    Just done a quick search or the Marriage Index for England & Wales on Ancestry.com.
    The Marriage of your man George A. M. Pryde to Honor B. Vardon was registered at Winchester in the 4th Qtr of 1938.
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much for your quick responce, much appreciated.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks

Marriage intentions announced in The Times on 10th Dec 1938. She was "Mrs" Honor Vardon, of 5 All Soul's Place W1, widow of Lt G A Vardon RN. Daughter of Mrs Gurney Dixon of Winchester.

Married on the 17th Dec at Winchester Cathedral.

A

Thanks

Hi Amrit,

Many thanks for the additional info. I've ammemded my notes accordingly.

Alex

Thanks

Alex,
    In answer to your enquiry as to whether the RAF itself had a system of promulgation of information about marriages of serving personnel, I can say that, at least later in WW2, PoRs (Personnel Occurrence Reports) did contain advice details of marriages. PoRs replaced the old "Casualty Reports", which despite their name also included various details of personnel on the strength of individual units, which were generated at unit level (presumably complied by the unit Adjutant) and ended up at the RAF Records department where such details were transferred to the individual's personal file. I imagine that a similar system still functions to this day within the services, although, like present unit history sheets, it would be transmitted by official e-mail rather than by post as in the days of yore.
    David Duxbury