Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: RAF information Service record 543 References and movement orders

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default RAF information Service record 543 References and movement orders

    Hi All, I have just joined this very interesting and informative forum in order to research my Father in Laws Service in WW2. He was a member of The RAF Field Regiment. He is 94 years old and thankfully very much with us today but his memory is not good at all and for obvious reasons, I have not revealed any personal details.

    At his request, I sent for his service record form 543. We would very much appreciate any help at all in deciphering all the codes, abbreviations and the movement orders etc.

    I have included an image of the relevant section and from my research so far I have concluded that:-

    3 RC is Padgate Recruits Centre near Warrington Cheshire

    20 RC Appears to be the initial classification of RAF Hunmanby Moor training centre before it was renamed No1 Recruits Centre.

    Not at all sure of lines 3 and 4 but it appears to cover over a year of service?

    5001 Airfield Construction Service Squadron

    Not sure of lines 6 and 7?

    5022 Airfield Construction Service Squadron

    3 MT we believe this is a Motor Transport School where he gained a “Class B” driving qualification believed to be situated in Wales?

    The next lines refer to when he was wounded on Boxing Day at Eindhoven, his treatment, convalescence and discharge back to the unit. Any information on where this occurred, please.

    The next lines refer to his demob procedures ending at Cardington and then being placed on the “reserve list” and final release 30 June 1959

    My Father in Law distinctly remembers going ashore with his unit on D day +1 (7th June) we believe at Juno Beach and ending up to Lubeck on the Baltic Coast.
    Any help with his service record would help us on this very special 75th Anniversary year.

    Many Thanks

    [IMG][/IMG]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Brian

    I carried out some research on the Airfield Construction Service for someone a few years ago, but sadly, the Record Books that I obtained were not for the squadrons listed in your record.

    I have just dug out the book that I purchased whilst doing this research (The Royal Air Force Airfield Construction Service 1939 - 1946 by Anthony Betts) and it does have a whole Section about 5022 Squadron and its movements across Europe as part of 5357 Wing. It mentions the Juno Beach Landing.

    The Record Books are available at the National Archives (AIR 29/828/12 5022 Airfield Construction Squadron, based in the UK then North-West Europe)

    If I get the chance, I will have a further look through the record tomorrow to see if I can help with the deciphering, but the earlier entries refer to the Works Squadrons, which formed the basis of the ACS when it formed in 1943

    Regards

    Pete
    Main areas of research:

    - CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

    [Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi Pete, firstly thanks for the pointers to the book by Anthony Betts and the ORB (AIR 29/828/12 5022. I notice that the book is heavily referenced in the RAF Historical Society Journal no 51 which I am using to track the movements of 5022 Squadron,so a visit to The British Lending Library at Boston Spa may be in order?

    Secondly I am researching any relevant dates or periods in order to use a "Diary Copying Service" for the ORB which is probably the most economical way for me to access it as we live in Yorkshire.

    i really appreciate your efforts thus far and would welcome any thoughts on the form 543 abbreviations etc.

    Regards

    Brian

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,405
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    Hi Brian, the image you posted is very small resolution, I cannot really read it on either phone or computer screens, would you be able to try a bigger version or email me the scan and I'll pop it on my google photos
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

    Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Hi Brian, the image you posted is very small resolution, I cannot really read it on either phone or computer screens, would you be able to try a bigger version or email me the scan and I'll pop it on my google photos
    Hi Dennis,Thanks for your reply. The image has been posted in the forum image gallery with form 543 clip as the title.

    regard

    Brian

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,405
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

    Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to dennis_burke For This Useful Post:

    Brian Wakelin (12th May 2019)

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hornsea, East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,773
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Hi Brian

    20 RC was actually located at the Crescent Hotel in Filey and was redesignated No 1 RAF Regiment School not No1 Recruits Centre.

    lines 3 and 4 are No 1 Works Sqn, No 4 Works Flight and Quy, which was a training centre for the ACS

    lines 6 and 7 are No 4 Works Sqn ands No 1 Works Sqn

    No 3 MT School was at Pwllheli

    Malcolm

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to malcolm_raf For This Useful Post:

    Brian Wakelin (12th May 2019)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi Brian

    20 RC was actually located at the Crescent Hotel in Filey and was redesignated No 1 RAF Regiment School not No1 Recruits Centre.

    lines 3 and 4 are No 1 Works Sqn, No 4 Works Flight and Quy, which was a training centre for the ACS

    lines 6 and 7 are No 4 Works Sqn ands No 1 Works Sqn

    No 3 MT School was at Pwllheli

    Malcolm
    Many Thanks Malcolm

    I could not work out the word"Quy" any thoughts on where this might have been? would this have been RAF Hunmanby Moor?

    Regards

    Brian

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,007
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Just a few small points. There was no such Regiment as the RAF Field Regiment - it was just RAF Regiment. But having said that, there is no indication in this Form 543 that he ever served with the RAF Regiment.

    "MT" in the RAF (and Army) was an abbreviation (from WW1 to WW2 and indeed well into the 50s) for Mechanical Transport (rather than Motor Transport) although the latter rendition is certainly the common one these days, and is frequently assumed to have been "Motor" all along by most people. In fact the original "Transport" in the British Army (in fact all armies) was by horse (sometimes camels and mules, or even elephants as pack animals) and the most common means of moving ordinary soldiers about in earlier days was by ship, or by rail (if available) for longer distances or most commonly by foot over shorter distances. This is why the term "Mechanical" was introduced, to differentiate the earlier methods from the new and faster self-powered machinery, which also included steam powered traction engines and the like as prime movers, particularly for moving heavy artillery pieces, and large amounts of heavy stores such as shells, food, etc., to the front.

    The letter "A" or "a" which appears after a "posting" indicates "attached" rather than posted, which indicates that the individual concerned is temporarily at a different unit or location than his "parent" unit, and is probably being accommodated, fed and paid by them until he is returned to his parent unit (or perhaps even posted to the unit he was attached to).

    David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 8th May 2019 at 01:33.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to David Duxbury For This Useful Post:

    Brian Wakelin (12th May 2019)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Duxbury View Post
    Just a few small points. There was no such Regiment as the RAF Field Regiment - it was just RAF Regiment. But having said that, there is no indication in this Form 543 that he ever served with the RAF Regiment.

    "MT" in the RAF (and Army) was an abbreviation (from WW1 to WW2 and indeed well into the 50s) for Mechanical Transport (rather than Motor Transport) although the latter rendition is certainly the common one these days, and is frequently assumed to have been "Motor" all along by most people. In fact the original "Transport" in the British Army (in fact all armies) was by horse (sometimes camels and mules, or even elephants as pack animals) and the most common means of moving ordinary soldiers about in earlier days was by ship, or by rail (if available) for longer distances or most commonly by foot over shorter distances. This is why the term "Mechanical" was introduced, to differentiate the earlier methods from the new and faster self-powered machinery, which also included steam powered traction engines and the like as prime movers, particularly for moving heavy artillery pieces, and large amounts of heavy stores such as shells, food, etc., to the front.

    The letter "A" or "a" which appears after a "posting" indicates "attached" rather than posted, which indicates that the individual concerned is temporarily at a different unit or location than his "parent" unit, and is probably being accommodated, fed and paid by them until he is returned to his parent unit (or perhaps even posted to the unit he was attached to).

    David D
    Many Thanks David
    On a closer inspection I note that you are absolutely correct and the term “Field” has been misapplied by me to the Regiment when in reality it only refers to a “Wing” or “Squadron” I am grateful for that clarification.

    The “MT” explanation is also very interesting and has widened my view in general and will help me to be more exact in my search terms.

    With this clarification - would a class"B" qualification have included plant and machinery or be restricted to vehicles?

    Thank you for your input.

    Regards

    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Wakelin; 8th May 2019 at 08:59. Reason: Further thoughts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •