Thread: Fg Off Ernest M. Thomas, 1928-29

Thanks

Default Fg Off Ernest M. Thomas, 1928-29

Hi all

I have another man that I'm having some difficulty tracing and hope forumites might be able to assist, as I'm running out of resources.

From what I can establish, the above man had a short-lived flying career of about 13 months. I am pretty sure that he was born in Shanghai, China, on 25 Aug 1906, and the next trace I have of him is being granted a permanent commission as a Plt Off on 10 Sep 1928 (seniority 10 Sep 1927), but I cannot establish why it was a PC and not a SSC, for example.

His commissioning was gazetted 18 Sep 1928, as follows bracketed notes and personnel numbers added by me, from what I have been able to establish):

Air Ministry. 18th September, 1928.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    The undermentioned are granted permanent commissions in the rank of Pilot Officer with effect from 10th Sept. 1928, and with seniority of 10th Sept. 1927:

John Francis Xavier McKENNA (05151)
    Ernest Mortimer THOMAS
    Reginald Stradling COLLINS (Former SSC, KIFA 25 Feb 1932)
    Percy KINSEY (KIFA 10 Dec 1938)
    Paul Gardner THOMSON (05153)
    Lome CURRIE (Later 88199, KIFA 1941)
    Miles Villiers DELAP (05149)

According to Flight, all seven were then sent to Netheravon for flying training:

J. F. X. McKenna, E. M. Thomas, R. S. Collins, P. Kinsey, P. G. Thomson, L. Currie, M. V. Delap. to No. 1 Flying Training School, Netheravon, on appointment to Permanent Commissions, 10.9.28.

Six of their above men's PC are perhaps explainable by the following entry in the LG:

The undermentioned resign their commissions on appointment to permanent commissions. 10th Sept. 1928:

CLASS A.A. (ii).
    Flying Officer John Francis Xavier McKENNA
    Pilot Officer Paul Gardner THOMSON
    Pilot Officer Percy KINSEY
    Pilot Officer Lome CURRIE

SPECIAL RESERVE
    Pilot Officer Miles Villiers DELAP

BUT... there's nothing there on Ernest Mortimer THOMAS - at least nothing that I can find - prior to that. Following a promotion to Fg Off on 10 Mar 29, he resigned his PC on 1 Oct 29. It's not certain, but it was possibly a result of an affair with racing car driver & pilot, Eileen Scott, as he was a co-respondent in her divorce that year (TNA record). After that, he went into motor racing and I can find little more on him until his death in Exeter in 1974.

Can anyone assist me, please, with ideas or leads with regard to the reason he was offered a PC (prior service?) and, if at all possible, a personnel number for him, please? Any other info on this chap would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Morning Steve
    I don't know if you have seen this book excerpt,but it mentions Thomas and Scott,seems he was devoted to her and possibly he kept on flying ? since Jill eventually became a pilot,I do not know if her first Husbands nickname had any bearing on her affair.

A Contemporary History of Women's Sport, Part One: Sporting Women, 1850-1960
    By Jean Williams

Last edited by bvs; 7th May 2019 at 07:34.

Thanks

Thanks bvs

Yes, I found that, but thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure 'Bummer' would be a beneficial nickname for anyone! :-)

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm