Thread: Spitfire ZP-J of 74 Squadron, abandoned in France 23 May 1940.

Thanks

Default Spitfire ZP-J of 74 Squadron, abandoned in France 23 May 1940.

There are several photos of this Spitfire, mostly from the same angle, all clearly showing the squadron code and aircraft letter. However all are somewhat fuzzy and do not show the serial number which could be K9867 or P9441. I have seen a number of these photos on EBay and there is another in THE BATTLE OF FRANCE, THEN AND NOW' by Peter Cornwell, page 349.
    Does anyone know of a photo showing the serial on this ZP-J please ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Does this old thread answer your question ?

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archiv...p?t-50731.html

Alex

Thanks

FRom Thread look at radio mast... can anyone compare a K series one with a P series one ?

"Both plane are from initial serie of production and have different radio mast then other series - so these photos are of K9957 and K9867, because:"

Thanks

Alex, Paul
    Thanks for your replies and help. I had not considered the radio mast which in this case is definitely the early straight type fitted to the K/L production batch, so almost certainly K9867 in the ZP-J photos. Later Spitfire batches had a shorter tapered radio mast. In any good quality photo the difference will be obvious.
    My question arose because I noticed the index for the AIR 81 casualty files on The National Archives website shows F/O V. Byrne lost the same day also in Spitfire K9867, instead of P9441 as we might have expected.
    The AIR 81 casualty files are, in my experience, normally the more accurate source of information than ORBs. However there are instances where an incorrect serial is recorded.
    Byrne’s Spitfire is supposed to have ‘crash landed’ near St. Omer and he became a POW. I do not know of any photos of his aircraft unfortunately.
    My thanks once more.
    Regards,
    Martin.