Thread: US Army Grave Registration Unit records access / National Archives (US) query

Thanks

Default US Army Grave Registration Unit records access / National Archives (US) query

Hi all

I'm wanting to search and access US Army Grave Registration Unit records that I have been advised are held by the National Archives (US). Has anyone had any luck getting such records for RAF / RAAF etc personnel from the National Archives (US)?

In the case of Pilot Officer Vernon Humphrey RAAF, he was buried in the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery between late 1944 to April 1947. Grave Registration Unit findings are mentioned in correspondence in Vernon's casualty-repatriation file with the AWM but don't contain any actual documents.
    CWGC don't hold copies of these records. Neither do the American Battle Monuments Commission who have directed me to the National Archives (US) who I have emailed but haven't heard from them yet.

I tried looking through the National Archives (US) guides but couldn't see anything relevant. I am also aware there is a FOI process involved.

Regards

Andrew Curtis

Thanks

Hello ,

Perhaps you have this info P/O Vernon Humphrey was buried at the cemetery of Sourbrodt in Belgium on 13/08/44 , on 19/08/1944 he was reburried at Henri-Chapelle and later to Hotton

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

From what I remember, GRU records are filed at NARA under the US Army Quartermaster Corps records.

I'll have a look at my notes from my last time there and see if I can get you a Records Group file number for them.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

They would be in RG92 but its immense collection from both wars.

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?...naIdSort%20asc
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 7th March 2019 at 16:47.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Alain, Dave and Dennis

Thanks for your help - I'll have a look at the link and file number.

The 19/08/44 re-burial figure was in a letter dated 1947 I have seen in Vernon's repatriation file. The land that was the temporary Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery wasn't liberated until 11/09/1944 and the temporary cemetery started 28/09/1944. According to the same letter another of Vernon's crew, Sgt Horrocks, was re-buried at Henri-Chapelle on 03/11/1944. The ambiguity in the records is what I'm trying to clarify plus fill in some more detail from the GRU reports about the 3 crew (also Flt Sgt Chew).

Regards

Andrew

Thanks

Hi all

I've been able to get a copy of the Individual Deceased Personnel File for P/O Vernon Humphrey from the National Archives (USA). FYI These are held in their St Louis branch and cost is US$0.80 a page (min cost is US$20).

Regards

Andrew