Thread: FO 440101 Charles Frederick Gibson MBE RAFVR scampton

Thanks

Default FO 440101 Charles Frederick Gibson MBE RAFVR scampton

Hello any help on the citation for Fo Charles Frederick Gibson mbe would be greatly appreciated, I have just replied to a very old thread which has him listed and that his citation is available awards sept 43 to jan 44 but wasnít sure weather it would show up so have started a new one , Thankyou for any help Nick.

Thanks

GIBSON, Charles Frederick, F/O (133291, RAFVR) - Scampton - Member, Order of the British Empire - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1944. Public Record Office Air 2/8959, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation, drafted when he was a Pilot Officer. "This officer is the Anti-Gas and Fire Officer at Scampton and has shown exceptional keenness in his work. On the 28th July 1943, a Lancaster returning from operations stalled coming in to land with the result that it bounced, both legs of the undercarriage collapsed, and the starboard outer engine caught fire. The fire tender, with Pilot Officer Gibson in charge, arrived at the crash within a few seconds and quickly extinguished the fire, thereby saving the aircraft. On the night of 3rd August 1943, a Lancaster with a 4,000-pound bomb and approximately 8,500 pounds of incendiaries on board, swung badly on taking off and both legs of the undercarriage collapsed. The incendiaries were thrown out of their containers and ignited near the aircraft and alongside the 4,000-pound bomb. Pilot Officer Gibson led his men and personally helped to remove a number of 30-pound incendiaries from the bomb bay. When the incendiaries had been extinguished he assisted the Armament staff in making the 4,000-pound bomb safe. His actions on this occasion and during the whole time he has been on the station have been exemplary."

Thanks

Hello Nick, et al,
    Pse see:- https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...8977/page/3824 It is stated that:- Charles Frederick Gibson, Esquire, • to be His Majesty's Consul at Hamburg (18th May, 1950). You will note his post-nominal is omitted. Others, in the same lists, have their post-nominals recorded (including an MBE!). Is there a reason for this? Simply curious!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thankyou very much HughAHalliday thatís excellent, do you know why there would be a change in his service number though ? From 440101 ?
    i believe he was a flight sgt in the air training corps 311 Sqn leaving them in mid 1941 when I guess he joined the raf is there anyway off confirming that at all ?
    maybe in the raf lists ?
    i really appreciate the info you have posted for me .
    And Peter I donít know!possibly someone else with the same name ?
    Nick

Thanks

Nick,

From the LG:- https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...supplement/167

ADMINISTRATIVE AND SPECIAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Actg. Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency): — Flt. Sgt. 506200 Charles Frederick GIBSON (133291). 19th Nov. 1942.

His Enlisted Number was 506200. This is in the Block 505001-549999 RAF Civilians (i.e. he walked in off the street to volunteer) from 1 Oct 1925. Don’t know his DoB to check his Enlistment age.

His new Officers’ Number is 133291. He would have been given this when he was Commissioned (there are very, very, few patterns in the allocation of Officers’ Numbers!).

The number 440101 looks, to me, very much like 1 Jan 1944 in the format yymmdd?

Being an ex-RAF A&SD Officer sent to Hamburg (there can't have been much of it left?) shortly after WW2 by the FCO might bear some investigation?

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Correct - 440101 was shorthand for 1 January 1944.

Thanks

Thankyou everyone for your help and information, very much appreciated.