Thread: O.C. S.H.Q. Flight

Thanks

Default O.C. S.H.Q. Flight

Can anyone help? My late father's log books show him at RAF Abbotsinch from 12/08/1941 - 6/12/1943 listing his reports under O.C. S.H.Q. Flight but I cannot find what the abbreviations mean. From here he transferred to RAF Prestwick with 1680 Flt so I was wondering if they were connected? Fred Crawley

Thanks

Hi Fred

OC, SHQ Flight = Officer Commanding, Station Headquarters Flight (an administrative role).

Malcolm

Thanks

If the HQ Station HQ Flight possessed an aircraft or two (maybe a Magister or an Oxford or Anson), and the OC was a qualified pilot, then might not the post be regarded as administrative AND flying? Just a thought.

Thanks

Quite possible David

Thanks

Hi Malcom, your answer makes sense as the entries were signed by a Sqdn. leader, the SHQ later changed to 1680 Flt in the log book.

Fred

Thanks

Hi David, for info, during this period my father flew as W/Op in Dominie DH89A, Walrus 1, Tiger Moth, Dakota, Fokker FXX11,M.Maryland,Wellington. Also one particular Dominie (No.Z7258) has AMB next to it so I assume this was an ambulance plane?

Fred

Thanks

A Post from Pete T in 2012 states (about 1680 Flt) that....

Just to add that RAF Flying Training and Support Units has expanded the description to state: "to take over the Western Isles functions of the station flight , ferrying VIPS to the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland Isles".
    So perhaps 'SHQ' Flight was actually the 'Station Flight' - which perhaps would make sense.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...sinch-Scotland

Thanks

Hi bvs, you are right, my fathers log books show 50 Scottish sites visited, some are radar stations etc but also names various lords and their wives plus squadron leaders amongst other as well as Compton McKensie on Barra Island.
    Regards, Fred