Thread: Looking for RAF claimant of a victory on the night of 3-4 February 1941 - Hampden

Thanks

Default Looking for RAF claimant of a victory on the night of 3-4 February 1941 - Hampden

Hi,
    Which RAF crew and Handley Page Hampden was involved in the combat on the night of 3-4 February 1941 which resulted in the loss of a Do 17 night fighter in to the North Sea ca 50 km east of Lowestoft? I'm looking for any details of the RAF Crew, unit, aircraft, combat report etc.

Thank you!
    /Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I had a look in Theo Boiten latest book on Nachtjagd Combat Archives it gives the details of the German aircraft but not the Hampden details, I’m guessing you have the German details. I also checked Intruders over Britain by Simon Parry with no joy.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Yup, got both sources! Was hoping that someone here would know of a reported enemy encounter and/or claim made from RAF side. If it is correct that it was a Handley Page Hampden involved my guess is that it would have been an aircraft/crew from 5 Group since they operated the type at the time in this area. Depending on the nature of the encounter the RAF crew might not have been aware that the Do 17 came down.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

John Foreman´s book 1941 Part 1 has the following details but for the night 4/5th February. "Bomber Command sent 106 Aircraft to raid airfields and Cannel ports, thirty more attacking Dusseldorf and four laying mines.
    On the outward journey a Hampden, some 30 miles out from Lowestoft, was intercepted by a fighter identified as a Bf110. The fighter opened fire and the Hampden rear gunner replied. The intruder vanished into cloud and suddenly a cloud of fire was seen dropping away. This was without doubt Oberleutnant Otto-Heinrich Häuser´s Do17Z-10of 2./NJG 2, which vanished into the North Sea this night."

The Squadron which made the claim is not mentioned but at least 49 and 106 Squadron operated with Hampdens this night.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

Then I'll start working on these Sqn's records!

Thanks

Unfortunately no luck when checking these units ORBs or Summary of Events. Apparently the engagement was reported since Foreman covers it in his book.

Thanks

Hi Mike,
    I checked the Appendices for these squadrons (these can sometimes have valuable information) but no luck. The ORB and Appendices of No.5 Group might have some info but this requires a visit to the National Archives (these documents are not scanned).

Cheers Peter