Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Rivenhall experts? Group photo identification

Thanks

Default RAF Rivenhall experts? Group photo identification

I have recently acquired a group photo, which I believe was taken at RAF Rivenhall during the war.

The key reason for this thinking is that the photographer was from the nearby village of Witham, Essex.

The group is predominantly RAF men, all of whom I believe to be officers, but only two of whom are evidently aircrew. The senior officer in the group (front and centre) is wearing pilot's wings and another gent an aircrew brevet of some sort. One chap is in a 'dog collar' and is presumably the Station Chaplain. There are also a few WAAFs and an Army officer. The Army officer was presumably a Local Defence Advisor (LDA) or a liaison officer of some sort. As the Army officer is wearing a cap badge with a dragon and scroll, likely the badge of The Buffs (East Kent Regt), it seems unlikely that he was an Airborne liaison officer which might have been suspected if the photo relates to period when the station was being used for glider-borne operations. I am not sure how long the practice of having LDAs went on for during the war?

Few are wearing medal ribbons, which would suggest that the photo was taken before the end of the war.

If at RAF Rivenhall, I wonder if the group could have been from a RAF Substitution Unit while the USAAF were operating from there (1943-44), or from the RAF station staff while being used as base for 295 and 570 Squadrons RAF on glider-borne and clandestine special operations duties.

I would post the photo itself, but cannot find the option to insert an image from my computer (only from internet, using URL).

I would be most grateful if anyone with knowledge of RAF Rivenhall could get in contact. Alternatively, if anyone has ideas on who the group might be.

Any insights appreciated!

Thanks

You can upload a picture/image to a photo hosting service,I use Imgur - it is then a simple copy/paste direct onto the thread page using the 'BB' Code (on Imgur)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

BabaAndrew (27th May 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BabaAndrew View Post
    I have recently acquired a group photo, which I believe was taken at RAF Rivenhall during the war.

The key reason for this thinking is that the photographer was from the nearby village of Witham, Essex.

The group is predominantly RAF men, all of whom I believe to be officers, but only two of whom are evidently aircrew. The senior officer in the group (front and centre) is wearing pilot's wings and another gent an aircrew brevet of some sort. One chap is in a 'dog collar' and is presumably the Station Chaplain. There are also a few WAAFs and an Army officer. The Army officer was presumably a Local Defence Advisor (LDA) or a liaison officer of some sort. As the Army officer is wearing a cap badge with a dragon and scroll, likely the badge of The Buffs (East Kent Regt), it seems unlikely that he was an Airborne liaison officer which might have been suspected if the photo relates to period when the station was being used for glider-borne operations. I am not sure how long the practice of having LDAs went on for during the war?

Few are wearing medal ribbons, which would suggest that the photo was taken before the end of the war.

If at RAF Rivenhall, I wonder if the group could have been from a RAF Substitution Unit while the USAAF were operating from there (1943-44), or from the RAF station staff while being used as base for 295 and 570 Squadrons RAF on glider-borne and clandestine special operations duties.

I would post the photo itself, but cannot find the option to insert an image from my computer (only from internet, using URL).

I would be most grateful if anyone with knowledge of RAF Rivenhall could get in contact. Alternatively, if anyone has ideas on who the group might be.

Any insights appreciated!
    If you can post the photo it would be great. My Dad was based at Rivenhall late 44 into 45 with 570 Sqdn as a Stirling Pilot. I have several crew photos and a squadron photo but unfortunately there are no names with the squadron photo.

Thanks

Okay, here goes with Imgur…

Please let me know if you cannot access these images.

Thanks

They're not showing up for me (iMac/Firefox), but if I right click and 'View Image' I can go to the Imgur page.

Here's a direct link to the page with the images:

https://imgur.com/a/iWcuOLi

Regards

Simon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

BabaAndrew - if you single left click on your image(s) in Imgur it will give you a menu of options on the RHS - the BB Code (message boards and forums) will give a direct copy and paste image straight on to this forum reply page.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. Really hoping it works this time!

Thanks

Sorry cannot really help with any Rivenhall info.
    Out of curiosity - What are the large collar badges on the guy next to the chap with glasses on in the 2nd row ? (chap with glasses is just behind the pilot) - they almost look like chevrons.

Thanks

And a beard (rear rank, 2nd from right) in the RAF was a comparative rarity in those days?
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I have a copy of 'Rivenhall - The History of an Essex Airfield' by B. A. Stait, which has a group photo in front of a Stirling. This includes four chaps in Royal Navy uniforms, and the caption states that they are thought to have been drafted in due to a shortage of qualified electricians.

I also noticed that the Padre's in the front row, with an Army chap sitting to his left. And is the man with the chevron collar insignia American?

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 28th May 2019 at 10:38. Reason: typo