Thread: Aviation Historian - Ray Sturtivant

Thanks

Default Aviation Historian - Ray Sturtivant

All

If you do not know already, the sad news is that Aviation Historian - Ray Sturtivant died at the weekend.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83373

I wonder how many of you have got at least of his books on your book shelf and he contributed to lots more. The fact that the history of almost all FAA aircraft are so represented in the Air Britain books is down to him.

But he contibuted to lots of RAF material as well

Thanks

Default Ray Sturtivant

Hello Paul

Sad News indeed - I have three of his books sitting facing me whilst I type this (Flying Training and Support Units, Gifts of War and Spitfire International), and of course we lost Henry Boot (also Gifts of War) not too long ago.

cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Default Ray Sturtivant

Never met the guy, but in my short time as a raw amateur researcher, Ray Sturtivant has been a beacon to me and I suspect so many more, who spend some of our time looking into the military past. Without him, and so many others, my minor works would have taken so much longer and without necessarily achieving any final objective. To him, and you others out there, I can only express a sincere thank you.
    Stewart

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Just received the following from Ray Sturtivant's family:

It is with sadness we are writing to you to advise you of the passing of Ray Sturtivant (aged 82). He died peacefully following a short illness on the 9th August at the Royal Free Hospital in London, his wife Doreen was with him.

We have now arranged the funeral for Wednesday 20th August in Watford, followed by a buffet at RAF Hendon, we believe Ray would have approved the arrangements.

All are welcome to attend, but we are sorry that numbers are limited, so please confirm with us first, and do not feel you are obliged to attend or travel long distances, we are sure Ray would understand. (Please feel free to pass this notice to anyone you feel would like to be included or we may have missed, as we cannot be sure we have everyone on our list) but we would like confirmation if you would like to join us, by return of this notice, or by Friday at the latest so that we can make the final arrangements with accurate numbers of attendees.

Funeral Service:
    Wednesday 20th August 2008
    10.15am for 10.35am service
    West Herts Crematorium
    High Elms Lane
    Garston
    Watford
    Herts
    WD25 0JS
    Tel 01923 673285

MAP: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=west+hertfordshire+crema torium&sll=51.700407,-0.385906&sspn=0.010972,0.031221&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid =118362086190723627832.000001128575cd9ebd703&ll=51 .700407,-0.385906&spn=0.010972,0.031221&source=embed

And afterwards (12pm) we have a room (the Art Gallery in the Conference Centre) and a buffet booked at:

RAF Hendon
    RAF Museum London,
    Grahame Park Way,
    London,
    NW9 5LL

MAP: http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/planavisit/index.cfm

This is 15 miles away but is a fast route down the M1 (20 minutes).

Flowers and Donations:
    No flowers please, however we are arranging a collection at the Crematorium which will be split between ‘The Society of Friends of the Fleet Air Arm’ and the RNLI (as my father requested). We have been asked for cheques only please.

Please contact us if necessary by email preferably on Ray's email address: raysturtivant AT btinternet DOT com), or if necessary then on 01727 853699.

Regards

Doreen, Yvonne and Geoff Sturtivant

Regards:
    Robert