Thread: Flight Sergeant Ronald McElroy, 778860, No. 266 Squadron, from Rhodesia

Thanks

Default Flight Sergeant Ronald McElroy, 778860, No. 266 Squadron, from Rhodesia

Hello

I was contacted by a village in Normandy who wants to organise a tribute to the above named Typhoon pilot who crashed in their village, on 19th July 1944, near Lisieux.

He was buried there until 1953, when his body was moved to St Valéry-en-Caux franco-british cemetery.

I know the aircrew remembered webpage.

I'm helping the community with the best of my knowledge and books, although I don't live in that area, but I'd welcome a copy of the Squadron ORB, if somebody has it. I know I can access the watercolor version online from TNA, but a copy without marks would be great.

Any help or pointers about McElroy and the other two pilots killed in the same combat would be a bonus.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

I have sent you the ORB with wetransfer.com

Edit: But it didn't go through - something wrong with the email on your profile?

John Engelsted
    Last edited by JohnE; 1st June 2019 at 14:23.

Thanks

Hello John

Thanks for your answer and your your e-mail with the wetransfer link. It arrived all right.

The serial number quoted in the form 541 is a different one, MN860. According the Air-Britain MA100-MZ999, MN860 flew with 197 Sqn, then 84 GSU. A quick look shows that McElroy flew Typhoon MN400 earlier on, so it might explain the "MH400" reference in the J captured german document.

Regards

Joss