Thread: Postings of a RAF pilot trainined in the USA

Thanks

Default Postings of a RAF pilot trainined in the USA

Hi all,

I would like to ask for some help with a service of RAF pilot training in the USA.

His service record after training in the USA and Canada:

7 Personnel Reception Centre - April 1944
    29 E.F.T.S. - April 1944
    Air Crew NCO School - June 1944
    7 Personnel Reception Centre - June 1944
    16 E.F.T.S. Aug 1944 - September 1944
    20 (P) A. F.U - September 1944
    operational squadron - February 1945

1) why he was posted twice to the EFTS after the full pilot training in the USA? To learn something what was not teched in the USA?
    2) why he was posted to an operational squadron without a course in the OTU?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello Pavel

What I find strange is that he didn't go through S.F.T.S. after E.F.T.S.. It's in S.F.T.S. that pilots received their wings. Are you sure about 16 E.F.T.S. ?

The pilots who trained in the U.S. that I've studied flew in B.F.T.S. (B for British), and from memory there were 6 of them spread over the U.S.

It's a long gap between A.F.U. and Squadron, so there'd be time for an O.T.U. course which can have been overlooked in his service file.

Joss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post

1) why he was posted twice to the EFTS after the full pilot training in the USA? To learn something what was not teched in the USA?
    2) why he was posted to an operational squadron without a course in the OTU?

TIA

Pavel
    He possibly was posted to an EFTS for 'Refresher' and 'Acclimatisation' (to UK flying conditions and procedures).
    He may not have needed to do an OTU course - perhaps depending on the Squadron/Aircraft type he was posted to ?

Thanks

Just to expand and clarify my previous post....
    By the time RAF Aircrew arrived back in 'blighty' after completing their training,it may have been 2 or 3 months since they had last flown an aircraft - so to regain 'currency' they would have to do a short course (mostly solo flying) which would also acclimatise them to flying conditions/procedures in the UK,very different weather/navigation than over the wide open spaces of the USA/Canada.
    Also near the end of the war their was a Glut of Pilots and many were put on 'Holding' Postings/employment to keep them busy,the lucky ones would have got a flying job eventually,but some ended up in less glamorous roles.
    Derek Piggott was caught up in this glut - when he returned from pilot training he was employed as a controller for a while and the only way he could continue flying was to 'Volunteer' to be a Glider Pilot.
    Some returning pilots became Flight Engineers on heavy bombers,some even were employed on the railways (I believe at least one became a qualified Engine Driver :) )

Thanks

Hi Joss and bvs,

thank you for your comments. As my pilot has been trained by Naval Air Stations as pilot for flying boats and I have read that Air Ministry was not fully satisfied with the achieved level of pilots from NAS bases, it seems to me possible he was given some other training at UK soil to get the RAF standard.
    He has passed the GRS in Canada and than the (P)AFU and I am sure that he was not with an OTU as in the CoI form there is also stated his previous unit as (P)AFU.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hello bvs

Quote Originally Posted by bvs View Post
    By the time RAF Aircrew arrived back in 'blighty' after completing their training,it may have been 2 or 3 months since they had last flown an aircraft - so to regain 'currency' they would have to do a short course (mostly solo flying) which would also acclimatise them to flying conditions/procedures in the UK,very different weather/navigation than over the wide open spaces of the USA/Canada.
    I fully agree, that was the A.F.U. stage in a normal training syllabus.

Joss