Thread: SAAF Liberator 34 Squadron down late March 1945

Thanks

Default SAAF Liberator 34 Squadron down late March 1945

Apologies for starting this in the wrong section

Liberator - 34 Squadron down late March '45

Don't have exact date or serial but SAAF - 34 Squadron shot down late March 1945;

A/c was named 'Jiminy Cricket' at least one crew buried Klagenfurt War Cemetry, Austria - date of death from CWGC is 25 March 1945;

EDIT from CWGC 7 crew (Full crew? buried at Klagenfurt

Can anyone shed further light on this? Question raised on another Forum and I'm trying to assist;

PZULBA - Out of Africa

Thanks

Default 34 SAAF Sqn

The book "The Men Who Went to Warsaw" by Lawrence Isemonger records that on 25/3/45 EW204/J of 34Sqn was shot down by AAA while bombing the marshalling yards at Villach, Austria.

Steve

Thanks

Default 34 Saaf

Pzulba
    The Men --book lists 9 crew which seems one too many to me for a Liberator ?
    Crew --
    Capt LJ de Jager
    Lt RL Chegwyn
    Lt PM Tylden-Wright
    F/O R Warrington RAF
    2/LT I J Doble
    WO11 JN Geldenhuys
    WO11 JN Robbertse
    Wo11 WAJ Venter
    Sgt AC Phillips RAF

If you go to CWGC cemetery reports for Klangenfurt & look up these names in the alphabetical section you will see that Phillips ,Venter ,Robbertse ,Geldenhuys ,Jager & Chegwyn are buried together in a coll. grave .Tylde-Wright & Doble buried together & Warrington buried separately.I haven't rechecked the burials so I may have made a mistake ?

Anne

Thanks

Default Thanks Anne & Steve

Yes , When I found my copy of 'The Men Who Went Warsaw' plus research into CWGC for KLagenfurt came to same answers but only 7, I missed Doble & Tylden-Wright which as you say Anne makes for at least 1 extra v normal 8 - though I seem to rember Dad saying 7 was fairly common

However would still appreciate any input from others on the actual mission - Bombing Marshalling Yards at Villach

PZULBA - Out of Africa

Thanks

Hello,

The book "85 Years of the SAAF" also lists the names of the nine crew as given in the above post numbered "3".

Alex

Thanks

Default SAAF Liberator 34 Squadron down late March 1945

I came across this thread whilst researching the Warsaw airlift for a talk I'll be giving to our club. My uncle, Roy Chegwyn, after whom I was named, was the navigator/observer on Jiminy Cricket. I will try and post pics of the plane,taken in Libya. On the back of the full pic with ground crew is written. " This is the machine Roy got shot down in". Written by my dad who, by coincidence was an armourer on J.C.
    Unfortunately, other than my dad kneeling in the front of the full crew photo, I don't have any idea who the rest of the guys were.
    (sorry, thought I knew how to post pics, need some help pse!)