Thread: New RCAF book christening

Thanks

Default New RCAF book christening

Dear all,

I would like to thank to all members of this forum who during past years helped me much with my research which finalized in a book which will be released this month. Unfortunately in Czech language only.

Anyway one more problem I would like to ask you for help:

the book is about 3 airmen of Czech origin killed while serving with the RCAF and I would like to make a christening but unable to find any traditional Canadian drink or tradiotional drink of RCAF airmen which I can use for the christening.

Any ideas? (except maple syrup:-)

Thanks

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Ahoj Pavel,

for a first congratulations to your new book. What do you think about good canadian whisky :o) ?

wbw

Milan

Thanks

Pavel, Hi,
    When I was in the Falklands there were - as you will know - daily trips from Ascension to Port Stanley by the UK-based C-130 Hercules Sqns a/c. These Sqns had on them a fair number of Officers on Exchange Postings from various other Air Forces. Most of these guys, when they got to RAF Stanley, would plead with us not to mention their names, or Air Force, in any Report. "My Government does not know I'm here!!" - quote Maj Hansi Unknown Muller, of the Unknown German Air Force, but who had just landed a Herc in the highest cross-wind to date!!!!
    But I can break a promise. One of the Hercs had a Canadian Air Force Navigator. They had a slight 'techie' problem. He introduced us to Moose's Milk. I cannot remember the precise recipe, but it starts with lots of ice-cream. To this is added (in liberal quantities!) whatever clear spirits may be to hand (gin, vodka, white rum, etc). At some stage whiskey and brandy seem to have been added! It was even rumoured that Tabasco Sauce was one of the ingredients!! The Flight Sgt in charge of the RAF Stanley Airfield Fire Section forbade the striking of matches or any naked flame within a radius of a 1000 metres on account of the fact that the resulting explosion could cause more damage than the entire war!!!
    Pavel, you should get confirmation of the constituents of Moose's Milk from some of these wild Canadians!! But I regret to tell you that - at the moment - this looks like the only drink on offer!!! The proceedings might well go with a bang!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rgds
    Peter
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 12th August 2008 at 15:18. Reason: I still remember the headache that I went on a 24-hr (non-sleeping) duty after that event. I have always vowed to get even w

Thanks

Another possibility is "Caribou", sometimes known as "Caribou Blood". This is 50% red wine and 50% whatever clear spirits you have on hand.

The west coast version of this is "shark's blood". As told to me by my late uncle the fisherman: you take a large (2L or better) bottle of cheap red wine and 750 ml of your favorite spirits with you when you leave port. After the hold is full and you've set course for home port, pour 750 ml of the red wine overboard, for the sharks. Then pour the spirits into the wine bottle, re-seal, shake, and pass around.

Speaking generally, Canadians will drink just about anything - especially if someone else is paying.

Thanks

Pavel,
    You clearly have a problem. Caribou Blood, or Moose's Milk, would seem to be on offer at the moment. If I may advise, I do not think that you should go further in this project without undetaking some considerable technical research! I'm just happy that at my time of life I don't have to go on a 24-hr (working) shift after doing the "testing" for the Caribous's Blood, or the Moose's Milk!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would say, however, that both brews would, I would think, under normal circumstances, be outlawed under the Geneva Convention and the Laws Of War.
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thanks for ideas chaps.
    Will let you know - if I will survice the practical research - what I have choosen:-)

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz