Thread: A E Kemp & R H Fisher, 39 Sqn, shot down August 2nd 1943

Thanks

Default A E Kemp & R H Fisher, 39 Sqn, shot down August 2nd 1943

Hello everyone

I'm trying to pin down the Beaufighter the above two were in when they were shot down on August 2nd 1943. Oliver Clutton Brock's 'The Long Road' mentions that they were in Beaufighter JM323, shot down while circling another Beaufighter crew who were waiting for a rescue seaplane. The book give a detailed account of their ensuing travails whilst P.o.Ws.

However, 'A History of the Mediterranean Air War' Volume 4 has JM323 with 47 Sqn, shot down the next day, and it has "Beaufighter 'A'" for Kemp and Fisher, hit by flak attacking convoy off Cagliari.

There's nothing in the 39 Sqn ORB as far as I can see.

Can anyone ID their Beaufighter?

Many thanks,

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,

From Owen Clark's History of No.47 Squadron:-

No.47 Squadron's next 'rover' was on 2 August (1943) when Lee-Evans with David Heden as his regular navigator now that Daffurn had left the squadron, led eight Beaufighters towards Sardinia. They found a burning ship with a warship and five MTBs milling around. As the vessel did not appear to be sinking Lee-Evans decided to attack with cannon fire, but one of the Beaufighters (JM224/G) was hit by flak and seen heading south with an engine on fire, The pilot, Flying Officer Reneau, successfully ditched the aircraft and he and his navigator, Sergeant S. H. Hutton, climbed into their dinghy. They were adrift for two days before being picked up by the Italians. They were held in italy until the Armistice ... On the same 'rover' the Beaufighter (JM323/A) of Sergeants Kemp (RNZAF), and Fisher was posted as missing in the same area, but the location was not spotted by any of the other crews. They drifted in their dinghy until picked up by the Italians in the evening, taken ashore and locked up with an RAF Wellington crew who had been shot down earlier ...

You already know what happened to Kemp and Fisher (Reneau later escaped to Switzerland, and Hutton ended up in Stalag Luft IV), so I won't elaborate.

See:
    Under Their Own Flag - A History of 47 Squadron 1916-1946.
    Clark,Owen
    N.P.:Fighting High Ltd.,2016.
    pp.116-7.

See also:

Beaufighter X JM224 - 304 FTU/47 - Engine caught fire on sweep; crashed in sea off Cape Spartivento, 2.8.43.

Beaufighter X JM323 - 301 FTU/47 - Hit by flak from convoy off Cape Spartivento, and blew up, 2.8.43.

See:
    RAF A/C JA100-JZ999
    Halley,James J (Comp.)
    Tonbridge:Air-Britain (Historians),1990.
    pp.49-50

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th June 2019 at 13:52.

Thanks

Kemp & Fisher were lost in Beaufighter X 'A' of No. 47 Sqn.
    On July 20 both flew on Beaufighter 'B' and on 24 July on 'A'.
    Zoran

Thanks

Thank you Col and Zoran.

That will explain why they're not in the 39 Sqn ORB...I was confused by the fact that 'A History of the Mediterranean Air War' Volume 4 seems to have them as a 39 Sqn loss:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...q=kemp&f=false

I should have taken more notice of the entry in 'The Long Road' which does indeed have them with 47 Sqn. D'oh...

Regards

Simon