Thread: Various Hardstanding Types

Thanks

Default Various Hardstanding Types

Hello All,
    I know what a “spectacle” hardstanding is. I know what a “frying-pan” hardstanding is. What, please, is a “SE” hardstanding?
    Willis & Hollis use the term. I have tried – several times over many years - to contact anybody connected with the various “Military Airfields” publications, but nobody will communicate with me!
    Can the hardstanding expert please help? There were 20 of them at Perranporth.
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

I think it may mean a Single Engine hardstanding - i.e. one for single engined aircraft.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 1st July 2019 at 09:33. Reason: typo

Thanks

Simon,
    Tks dat!
    Peter

Thanks

Peter

Further information on Single Engine Hardstandings

http://www.heritage.norfolk.gov.uk/D...nstruction.pdf
    Last edited by PeteT; 1st July 2019 at 10:01.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks Pete

For those who don't want to download the PDF, this is what it has (it's about R.A.F. Coltishall, by the way):

3.8 Aircraft Dispersals
    Aircraft dispersals included 35 single-engine (SE) hardstandings, though some of these may have been for
    twin-engine aircraft; they are not circular, but multi-sided, (a typical hardstanding is 60 feet across flats).
    These were mainly constructed adjacent to the perimeter track. Each of these has a pair of metal tie-down
    rings at 20 ft centres. The original 22 were constructed of concrete slab toned down with tarmac and
    another 15 built around the runway ‘33’ end extension were constructed with PSP. The majority face away
    from the landing ground, so as to be outside the runway clearance zones.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 1st July 2019 at 10:41. Reason: typo - again...

Thanks

Pete,
    Mni tks for that. Most instructive. A great deal of what was constructed at Coltishall was clearly replicated at Perranporth. The GE images, and crop-marks, at the latter are just as in the Coltishall plan!
    Tks again,
    Peter Davies

Thanks

There were a number of types of hardstand that could be classed as SE (Single Engine) types.

The descriptions in Willis and Hollis are taken from returns by each airfield that were compiled into a book of RAF airfields. Although the original form no doubt required specific details to be filled in it relied on the form filler being acquainted with the official terms and as such the reliability of some airfield details are suspect or misleading. It is always best to double check what was recorded at the time. This may not be the case with Coltishall or Perranporth but something to be aware of in future.

As a postscript, the Record Site Plans can also suffer from misleading information in that they can sometimes show what was planned at an airfield but not what was actually built, or what was built but not the changes made after that date. I always try to get a good quality aerial photograph and if possible relevant to the period to confirm things.

Thanks

PNK, Hi,
    Tks yr detailed warning of the differences between planned/stated/maps, etc, and what actually turns up when one excavates it. I found that out myself during my archaeological fieldwork training! Always check sources/measurements, etc – and then check again! It was, however, surprising just how accurate the Roman surveyors/engineers actually were with just a groma and a carefully measured length of rope!
    Peter Davies