Thread: When was 38 Group transferred from HQ AEAF to ADGB

Thanks

Default When was 38 Group transferred from HQ AEAF to ADGB

Hi,

When was No.38 (Airborne Force) Group transferred from HQ AEAF (the Allied Expeditionary Air Force) to Air Defence Great Britain/Fighter Command? I have a note that it was transferred on 10 November 1944 but I have seen other dates on the net.

Regards,
    Peter
    Last edited by phasselgren; 10th July 2019 at 17:12.

Thanks

Peter

Not sure if this helps but RAF FT&SU shows 10th January 1944

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi

It was definitely listed as being under ADGB in the January 1944 CAFL

Malcolm

Thanks

Pete and Malcolm,

Thank you, January 1944 is definitely earlier than I expected. I was convinced that it was under HQ AEAF at least until after D-day. I plan to check what information Fighter Command Combats and casualties files have on 38 Group for the year 1944 and needed a starting date before I order copies.

Regards
    Peter
    Last edited by phasselgren; 11th July 2019 at 13:28.

Thanks

The question that pops into my head is why was an Airborne Group transferred to Fighter Command. I suspect it was more to do with balancing numbers at Command level after the transferring of units from Fighter Command to 2TAF.

Thanks

PNK,
    I suspect you are dead right!! The dreaded political interference in ORBAT matters! Air Officers jousting for positions of importance. We were winning the War. After the War the RAF would contract. The ACM with the most would come out on top? It would all, of course, be covered-up with pseudo "Operational Requirements"!! QED? LOL!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter there are pay and rations issues at stake here!!
    38 Wing was part of Army Co-operation Command. ACC was disbanded on 31/5/43 and most of its units were destined for the TAF which was formed on 1/6/43 in Fighter Command. At that point all the units comprising ACC were transferred into FC including 38 Wing. 38 Wing was reformed as 38 Group on 11/10/43 and then when the TAF was reformed as 2TAF on 15/11/43 38 Group was transferred to HQ AEAF.
    Steve