Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edward Francis Hughes - 2210463

Thanks

Default Edward Francis Hughes - 2210463

Hello, first time poster here!

I'm researching my grandmothers first husband, Flight Sgt Edward Francis Hughes 2210463. I've just received his records from the RAF. Unfortunately a lot of information has been redacted but I have managed to gain a copy of his postings. I'm currently deciphering my way through all the abbreviations but there is one in particular that I cannot figure out. It looks like the unit is "AT Sch." Date of movement 06/10/44, he was then moved to 2 PDC which I believe is in Morecambe dated 04/04/45. It was sometime between these two dates that he met and married my grandmother. I'd be grateful if anyone could shed light on the "AT Sch" abbreviation is possible so I can figure out where he was based. TIA.

Thanks

I'd read "Sch" as "School"; for the rest you'll need someone knowledgeable! What was he mustered as (pilot, fitter, armourer, air gunner, etc.), it might help with this?

Cheers, Pat

Edit: welcome to the Forum

Thanks

Hi Pat for some reason they've redacted the information that was written in the mustering section so I don't know. I can see his promotions and reclassifications and it says he was T. Sgt around the same time the At Sch is recorded. Not sure if that helps? He goes from 115 Squadron to ACAC then AT Sch then on to 2PDC. When he died in August 1945 (killed in action) his rank was T F S. Temporary Flight Sergent? I have little information really because they redacted a great deal.
    Last edited by ClaireTun; 14th July 2019 at 12:52.

Thanks

Armament (or maybe Apprentice)s Training School? I believe this was a "thing", though I'm afraid I don't know any more at all. Having said that, my personal experience is that there are often a number of possibilities for an acronym; the sequence in his service training may help perhaps (I mean, if you identify one posting acronym, a subsequent one might be deducible partly because of a logical progression from e.g. an initial training establishment to an intermediate one, or whatever).

Thanks

Clare (et al),

You don’t seem to be getting very far? This will either help – or muddy the water even more!!

ACAC = (possibly) Air Crew Allocation Centre (but this might (rpt, might) have been for disciplinary reasons?). It’s in Sturtivant FR&SU1912+.

AT Sch doesn’t come easily out of the same publication. But – when I was in the Service ‘AT’ stood for ‘Air Transportable’ – such as TGRI(AT) (Tactical Ground Radio Installation(Air Transportable).

Now, 7 others were killed on Fri 3 Aug 1945 in Liberator VIII KL671 of 159 Sqn. 3 of them were in the RNZAF. (Tks to Malcolm’s RAFWEB for that). Their Pers Files are more easily available in NZ and they may show what Hughes was? I don’t know how you access RNZAF Deceased Pers Files, but one of the Kiwi experts will know – or know who does!

His Service Number (2210463) was issued at Padgate (possibly in early July 1943) sometime after 1 Oct 1942?

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 14th July 2019 at 14:15. Reason: Additions
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

ClaireTun (16th July 2019)

Thanks

Hello

According to the 'Aircraft lost on Allied Force’s Special Duty Operations & Associated Roll of Honour' pdf file from https://harringtonmuseum.org.uk he was the Flight Engineer in the crew.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello

From Errol Martyn" "For your tomorrow" volume 2, page 354
    Special Duty operation - supply dropping in the Toungoo area, Burma
    159 Squadron, Digri, India, detachment at Jessore
    Liberator VIII KL671 took off from Jessore at 0830 and failed to return. Believed to have reached the target, but unable to make the drop because of bad weather, at about 1430 was seen by the inhabitants of the village of Bigaing, South of Magwe, flying west through a heavy storm and completely enveloped in flames. It suddenly dived into the ground, crashing 100 yards east of the village on the west bank of the Irrawaddy (at position 1920N-9510E). The remains of only six of the eight crew were found at the scene. As there could not be individually identified, all the crew were commemorated on the Singapore Mémorial.
    Captain NZ42150 Warrant Officer David Joseph GALLAGHER RNZAF 24, 915 hours 29th op
    Navigator NZ427077 Flight Lieutenant Donald Cross FINLAYSON RNZAF 21, 782 hours, 34th op
    air gunner NZ42553 Warrant Officer Colin William McCarthy RNZAF 25, 509 hours, 26th op.

Hope this helps.

Joss

Thanks

Hello All,

As I see it, this is the impact plot:-
    KL671 159 Sqdn. Central Burma. Seen flying engulfed in flames in a heavy downpour during a Special Duties supply-dropping operation over central Burma. An explosion was heard before impact.

1. Who saw KL671 “flying engulfed in flames”? And where was that subsequently reported/debriefed? They seem to have been flying SD ‘stores’ (i.e. ammo/explosives, etc,) rather than ‘personnel/agents’? The “flames” might have been as a result of some internal problem – but a lightning strike might not be ruled out?

2. GE places “central Burma” close to Mandalay. Where was the Allied FLOT at this time? Or were they dropping to previously inserted Units/Personnel ‘behind enemy lines’?

3. I have some personal interest in this. When I went back into uniform (1969) my Wg Cdr (Met) OC MMU had been, as a junior Met officer, in the area waiting to go on Op ZIPPER!! Small world – innit?

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi All,

Some judicious googling throws up a pdf apparently created by Matt Poole, regarding "Corrections/discrepancies and additions to the Air-Britain book "The Liberator in Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Service" by James D. Oughton with John Hamlin and Andrew Thomas. It appears on a number of sites seemingly not belonging to either Matt or the authors, so I am reluctant to link to it here. The document appears to confirm the information above, and gives as its source the personnel file of 432927 Jack Edmund Wilmith RAAF who was part of the crew.

His personnel file and casualty file can be found on the National Archives of Australia website

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...sicSearch.aspx

(Claire: If you follow the link and enter his service number, the first two results are Jack Wilmith's. Both his A705 casualty file and A9301 personnel file have been digitised and can be viewed online).

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

Jeff

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RecklessRat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Jeff I went to the link provided and got a session timeout error. I tried doing a basic search with Edwards service number but it returns no results sadly, maybe I'm not doing it right?