Thread: Light Bomber strength 1936

Thanks

Default Light Bomber strength 1936

Hi,

Trying to determind the strength of RAF Light bomber squadrons based in the UK in 1936. My library is limited to mainly WW2 Bomber Command topics.

Is there a book, or web site that can give me this detail?

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve

Can't help you directly, so the only partial idea (like you, my library is mainly WWII BC) is that later on at least (WWII), some Sqn ORB Monthly Summaries contained personnel numbers. Pre WWII details are somewhat flimsy, but maybe worth seeing if the online ORBs help? Very laborious, I know, but all I can think of immediately.

Cheers

Ian

ps Or do you mean numbers of a/c on their books?
    Last edited by ianh; 19th July 2019 at 12:58. Reason: Afterthought

Thanks

Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

I am after the number of light bomber squadrons on strength in the UK in 1936.

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

What a very good question. I have just gone through my normal source books covering the period and not one contains an Order of Battle prior to 3 September 1939. I suspect all the components are there but require compiling. The light bombers at that time would be Hinds, Harts, and Gordons, so not too difficult to list all squadrons so equipped but there will be pitfalls in that some may not have re-equipped or be official light bomber squadrons. Not sure about the Auxiliaries and Cadre units at that time either

If anyone has a copy of "Narrow Margin" (Wood & Dempster) could they check as I seem to recall a few orders of battle in the prelude section. Sadly my copy fell apart in the seventies and I chucked it - a bad move in retrospect!

Aha! After a little brainwave I found a list for 1935 in a booklet on Armament Training Results for 1935 (TNA Ref:AIR 10/1555):-

Light bomber Squadrons
    Harts: 12, 15, 18, 33, 53, 57, 142
    Gordons: 35, 40, 207

Cadre Units
    Wallace: 501, 504

AAF
    Hart: 602

As 1936 was a big year for reorganisation I don't know what effect this had on Light Bombers and if they re-equipped in the following 12 Months. This obviously excludes Iraq, India, Aden and Middle East Commands although some may have moved back to the UK in 1936.