Thread: Looking for information - Army Flak Liason Officer flying with Bomber Command

Thanks

Default Looking for information - Army Flak Liason Officer flying with Bomber Command

Hi,

I am researching an army officer who was awarded a DFC whilst flying with Bomber Command and other RAF & USAAF units during WW2:

Greenhalgh. Peter. T/Major. (73899). (Royal Regiment of Artillery). 5 (Group) HQ (served with 4th Bn Loyal Regt, 62nd Searchlight Regt RA and seconded to Bomber Command as a Flak Liaison Officer)

DFC L/G 8/11/1945: 5434

Recommendation:

"Major Greenhalgh was one of the Royal Artillery officers who flew with the RAF bombers on day and night raids to obtain information about the enemy anti-aircraft fire. He completed one tour of 'ops' flying with Lancaster and American Marauders from bases in Britain, Sardinia and Italy. Returning from one attack on the Antheo Viaduct. S. France, His badly shattered plane with bomb aimer killed, crashed at its base in Sardinia.
    On another occasion when returning from a raid over Germany his plane landed in Britain with a full load of bombs aboard after crashing through trees on the perimeter of the air field."

Any ideas as to how I can locate the Squadrons and ORB's? Also are the Lancaster loss cards annotated with all crew details or would he just be listed as a passenger? Any help or guidance to where I could start researching would be appreciated,
    cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Hello,

No.617 Squadron RAF.

12/13 February 1944 - Antheor Viaduct.

10 Lancasters of 617 Squadron attempted to bomb this important railway link between France and Italy but, as on two earlier raids, were not successful despite low-level runs by Wing Commander Cheshire and Squadron Leader Martin. The sides of the valley were very steep and the target defended by guns which damaged both of the low-level aircraft. Flight Lieutenant R. C. Hay, the bomb aimer in Martin's aircraft and Squadron Bombing Leader since 617's formation, was killed.

See:
    The Bomber Command War Diaries An Operational Reference Book, 1939-1945.
    Middlebrook,Martin & Chris Everitt
    London:Viking,1985.
    p.472.

See also:

AIR 27/2123/14 - No.617 Sqn ORB. - 1944 Feb 01 - 1944 Feb 28. Record of Events (F.541)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8417099

Oddly, I can't find any mention in the ORB of Martin's aircraft on the above op. Martin had to land (Lancaster I DV402:KC-P "Popsie"), in Sardinia, and AUS407074 F/L Robert Claude HAY DFC* RAAF, was buried there.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...-robert-claude

I am loath to mention the following, as it contains quite a few errors/omissions*:

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1252712 - Download, go to pp.237-8 of 484

* Martin's aircraft was not "attacked by enemy fighters", it was hit by light flak. The navigator mentioned in the crew matrix (RAAF - FO Scott), is actually AUS400843 F/O James Kenneth STOTT DFC, DFM, RAAF. The mid-upper gunner (Sgt Fowler), mentioned by Storr, is actually, AUS404595 Sgt Bertie Tower FOXLEE DFC, DFM, RAAF (and there are other errors!).

Unfortunately, the casualty file mentioned by Storr (NAA: A705 166/17/481), is yet to be digitised, so we can't check to see if Greenhalgh was aboard Lancaster DV402 on the Antheor Viaduct raid.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 31st July 2019 at 04:23.

Thanks

Thanks

Dave,

Thanks.

So busy checking other information on the event, I neglected to chase up the site mentioned (I have even recommended it to others on the Forum!).

The site is only a reflection of what is in the 617 Sqn ORB, at the NA. As I said, there is no mention of Martin's aircraft amongst the 10 aircraft slotted on the Antheor Viaduct raid.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 31st July 2019 at 04:14.

Thanks

Rick,

Two mentions (plus a footnote, [ix]), of your Peter Greenhalgh, here:

https://630squadron.wordpress.com/20...december-1943/

Col.

Thanks

Hi Guys,
    apologies for the late reply but very many thanks for this info, I don't know how you do it? I have spent ages googling his name and number etc and not finding anything!!! Anything extra I find out I will post on here.
    cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Rick, Your man appears to have been awarded an Efficiency Medal as follows: Awarded Efficiency Medal (Territorial) wef 12 Dec 46. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/6061 Regards, Terry