Thread: 10 EFTS Tiger Moth crash 4 September 1943 - Riceville Ont. Canada

Thanks

Default 10 EFTS Tiger Moth crash 4 September 1943 - Riceville Ont. Canada

No. 10 Elementary Flying Training School, Pendleton Ontario - 4 September 1943.
    J12641 F/O Richard Mahlon D'Arcy Zurbrigg (instructor pilot) and R161171 LAC James Dixon McPherson (student pilot) both perished when their aircraft crashed into the Nations river near Riceville Ontario after striking hydro wires.
    I have examined both their records and cannot confirm the aircraft type was indeed a Tiger Moth nor can I find any mention of the accident in my normal references.

I am looking for the aircraft type and serial number.

Thank you,

Frank

Thanks

Hello,

Allison, in his TSGNO (pp.512 & 843), mentions the following:

McPHERSON, James Dixon LAC (P) R163171 - under training. From York Township, Ontario. Killed Sep 4/43 age 24. # 10 Elementary Flying Training School, Pendleton, Ontario. LAC Mcpherson and F/O R.M. Zurbrigg were both killed when Tiger Moth aircraft # 4381 hit a high tension wire and crashed into the Nations River, one mile north of Riceville, Ontario. Leading Aircraftman Pilot McPherson is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto, Ontario.

ZURBRIGG, Richard Mahlon D'Arcy F/O (P) J12641. From London. Ontario. Killed Sep 4/43 age 23. # 10 Elementary Flying Training School, Pendleton, Ontario. Tiger Moth aircraft crashed. Please see LAC. J.D. McPherson for flight detail. Flying Officer Zurbrigg is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, London, Ontario.

See:
    They Shall Grow Not Old - A Book of Remembrance.
    Allison,Les & Harry Hayward,
    Brandon:CATP Museum,1992.
    pp.512 & 843.

See also: http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_4350_4399_detailed.html Unfortunately, Bill Walker passed away before he was able to correct/complete all of his listings.

Also check the 10 EFTS ORB. One of the Forum members might be able to help there - having computer problems (WIN10/NBN) - I think the reel number is C-12337.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th August 2019 at 07:48.

Thanks

Many thanks for this!

Frank

Thanks

Hi Frank,
    Below link wil take you to 10 EFTS ORB for 4 Sept 43
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...7/1286?r=0&s=3
    The accident report, court of inquiry and photographs of the crash all confirm Tiger Moth 4381 and LAC McPherson, F/O Zurbrigg as the casualties.
    http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oo...49/854?r=0&s=3
    The file runs from image 854 to 895

Alan.