Thread: G.E. Wass / Aircrew Refresher / 420 Squadron

Thanks

Default G.E. Wass / Aircrew Refresher / 420 Squadron

On April 24, 1944 the Wass crew returned early from a raid on Karlsruhe. Three days later F.O.(perhaps P.O.?) G.E. Wass J85019 was sent off to Aircrew Refresher in Sheffield. Was this a case of of discipline being imposed for some sort of misconduct? Can anyone tell me anything about Wass or what happened to his now "headless" crew at Tholthorpe?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Clint
    Last edited by ClintCoffey; 10th August 2019 at 23:30.

Thanks

Hi Clint,

Whatever he was sent there for, he finished his tour 15 August 1944.

Photograph of Wass and crew: https://rcaf420snowyowl.wordpress.com/page/3/

Waiting for fog to lift on the morning of August 15,1944. Wass’s last trip of tour. My 26th. This was a daylight raid to Brussels/Melsbroek airfield. The German night fighters were becoming a bit of a problem again. So Bomber Harris organized a major effort. 1000 aircraft from all the allied air forces hit the German airfields from Belgium to ???? at the same time. We went to Brussels. It was quite a sight to see all these aircraft flying from England then breaking off in groups of 50 or sixty to hit an airfield. It was timed so all bombed at the same time. About 50 from Tholthorpe 420 and 425. Needless to say not much was left of the airfield after we hit it. We could see columns of smoke all over northern France and Belgium from other airfields. The night fighter nuisance was a thing of the past.
    Cheers,

Dave

Thanks

I would suggest that this forum, or any website, is not an appropriate place for unwarranted speculation that an individual was accused of so-called lack of moral fibre.
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Hello,

As F/O Gilbert Wass was sent to Sheffield for "three weeks or more", I doubt if it was an "LMF/W" issue, probably disciplinary. Wass was back on ops with his old crew on 16/17 June, 1944*, bombing Flying Bomb construction sites.

* See No.420 Sqn ORB, June, 1944 - Record of Events (F.541), Image 11 of 17.
    AIR 27/1826/10 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8404147

Col.

Thanks

I had no wish to disparage anyone's reputation, most especially a Bomber Command aircrew...Perhaps my question lacked tact, I have should have simply asked if anyone knew why he had been sent to Refresher.
    Thanks to all who replied.

Thanks

I talked to a RCAF pilot sometime ago, that was also sent to Sheffield for a refresher course. This happened after an early return due to coring. All oil coolers froze over, resulting in abnormally hi oil temps. After landing, the C/O ripped him apart and he could not prove that this indeed did happen as the evidence was gone. Off he went to Sheffield. On return to the Squadron, his first op back to Duisburg, lost an engine outward and completed the op, as I can't imagine how an early return would of went. He also completed his full tour of Ops. No need to mention the pilot or C/O.

Thanks

Hello All,
    I strongly agree with Ian Macdonald. But history is history, and facts are facts. We do those who might read our researches a disservice if we selectively ignore any proven realities because of current social/political thinking/fashion. We – as historians and researchers – have a duty of care not only to those we research, but also to those who come after us. When I was growing up during WW2 there were a significant number of births to unmarried mothers, and “out of wedlock”. These ‘irregular birth dates’ were then regarded as something socially inferior, and were to be ‘hidden’. Nowadays, any of the BMD sites will easily disclose the scale of the problem. But equally nowadays, nobody really cares!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!