Thread: 471031 - Unaccounted Airmen - 31-10-1947

Thanks

Default 471031 - Unaccounted Airmen - 31-10-1947

Hello,

471031 - Unaccounted Airmen - 31-10-1947

From Henk's List -

UK
    SHARP, Kenneth - AC2c - 2326148 - RAFVR - 9 Sqn.
    Sheffield ( Handsworth ) New Cemetery, Yorkshire.

From CWGC -

INDIA
    BAKHSHI, Balkrishan - LAC - 24554 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    GANGORDE, Nisan Shivaram - LAC - 12174 - RIAF.
    PRAKASH, Madam - LAC - 34476 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    RAIWELLUR, John Jaju Mari - LAC - 25351 - RIAF.
    STEPHENS, John - Sgt - 12796 - RIAF.
    SING, Bari Kishan - F/Sgt - 11375 - RIAF
    SING, Jai Pal - Cpl - 23202 - RIAF
    SING, Kartar - Cpl - 20852 - RIAF.
    .SINGH, Mohar - LAC - 34739 - RIAF
    SING, Sher - LAC - 30796 - RIAF.
    HART, Patrick - W/O - 21441 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    SRINIVAS, Huilgol Anant - Cpl - 12802 - RIAF.
    JESUDOSON, Iyapillai Samuel - Cpl - 11565 - RIAF.
    PETERS, Trevor Reginald - F/O - 3063 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    GURKHA, Rajendar Sing - LAC - 26285 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    DEY, Nani Goal - LAC - 39502 - RIAF.
    KACKER, On Parkash - Sgt - 10753 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    SHARMA, On Prakash - AC1c - 38956 - RIAF.
    NAMBUR, Satya Narayana - LAC - 35288 - RIAF.
    REDDIAR, Srinivasan Narayanaswami - LAC - 43853 - RIAF.
    MALIK, Randhir Singh - LAC - 30552 - RIAF.
    TONSE, Umesh Sunder - F/O - 1981 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    SANDHU, Mohindar Singh - LAC - 33572 - RIAF.
    MENDOZA, Clifford Joseph - F/Lt - 1985 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    JHA, Suresh - LAC - 38763 - RIAF.
    All 25 airmen are remembered on the Delhi/Karachi 1939-1945 War Memorials, India.
    All were aboard Dakota C47A - MA965 ( ex 42-92960 - KG497 ).

UK
    KONAS, Jedrzej - F/Sgt( Plutonowy ) - P/707772- PAF - 300 Sqn.
    Newark-On-Trent Cemetery, Nottinghamshire.
    [ Pvt Polish Resettlement Corps ].
    [ Krzystek's List ].

Alex

Thanks

Possibly a digit too many in KONAS Service Number?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

707772 plut./F/Sgt Jedrzej KONAS - correct service number is 705701, not 707772, which was allocated to jun./AC2 Jerzy BOROWICZ (60 Maintenance Unit), who died on 5 November, 1947.

705701 plut. Jedrzej KONAS died on 31 October, 1947, as a result of a motor-cycle accident.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th August 2019 at 15:18.

Thanks

Hello

UK
    SHARP, Kenneth - AC2c - 2326148 - the Daily Mirror of November 5th 1947 reported that he died after suffering oxygen Starvation on a Lincoln frlying frorm the Mediterranean to the UK. he was found unconscious on the aircraft, and was manually given oxygen until the Lincoln made an emergency landing at Tangmere. He was given oxygen in the ambulance while on his way to the station sick bay, but the oxygen suppy on board the ambulance ran out and was found to have had a leak.
    The Yorkshire Post of November 5th 1947 reported that the Lincoln was transporting 16 men from 101 Squadron, was was piloted by Sqn. Ldr. Peter Tunstall. It was flying from Castel Benito, Tripoli, to Binbrook. It had climbed to 30,000 feet, and the oxygen supply turned on. Sgt. William Patterson, air gunner, reported that he found Sharp asleep three times, and the oxygen pipe had fallen out of his mouth. Sgt. Patterson then had to deal with a fire in the rear fuselage, and had to leave his oxygen tube. When he returned to his turret he too collapsed. When he came round he was told that Sharp was asleep again. Despite assistance given, Sharp did not regain consciousness. A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned by the Coroner.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello Peter & Col,
    Thanks for highlighting the service number error for KONAS.
    Wonder how it became confused originally ?
    Thanks
    Alex

Thanks

INDIA
    BAKHSHI, Balkrishan - LAC - 24554 - RIAF - 12 Sqn......
    TONSE, Umesh Sunder - F/O - 1981 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    MENDOZA, Clifford Joseph - F/Lt - 1985 - RIAF - 12 Sqn.
    All 25 airmen are remembered on the Delhi/Karachi 1939-1945 War Memorials, India.
    All were aboard Dakota C47A - MA965 ( ex 42-92960 - KG497 ).
    http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Da...ircraft/MA-965

Crew:
    http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/1875 Mendoza
    http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/3063 Peters
    http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/1981 Thonse

Four days earlier - the independent state of Kashmir had acceded to the Indian union - it was at that time being invaded by tribesmen from the frontier coming across its border from Pakistan. On 27 October 1947, the first Indian troops landed by Dakota at Srinagar and they helped secure the airfield and Srinagar city. Harvards and Spitfires were also flown to Srinagar and were operating against ground targets . This Dakota was carrying a party of airmen from Ambala station to help support the IAF detachment in Srinagar. the aircraft went missing in the Pir Panjal range. The wreckage was not located for years - it was subsequently found in the 50s and some of the remains were cremated. The wreckage was again 're-discovered' in early 1980s and apparently more remains recovered and were cremated.

These were casualties of a different war - but commemorated by two countries for two different conflicts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Hello

UK
    SHARP, Kenneth - AC2c - 2326148 - the Daily Mirror of November 5th 1947 reported that he died after suffering oxygen Starvation on a Lincoln frlying frorm the Mediterranean to the UK. he was found unconscious on the aircraft, and was manually given oxygen until the Lincoln made an emergency landing at Tangmere. He was given oxygen in the ambulance while on his way to the station sick bay, but the oxygen suppy on board the ambulance ran out and was found to have had a leak.
    The Yorkshire Post of November 5th 1947 reported that the Lincoln was transporting 16 men from 101 Squadron, was was piloted by Sqn. Ldr. Peter Tunstall. It was flying from Castel Benito, Tripoli, to Binbrook. It had climbed to 30,000 feet, and the oxygen supply turned on. Sgt. William Patterson, air gunner, reported that he found Sharp asleep three times, and the oxygen pipe had fallen out of his mouth. Sgt. Patterson then had to deal with a fire in the rear fuselage, and had to leave his oxygen tube. When he returned to his turret he too collapsed. When he came round he was told that Sharp was asleep again. Despite assistance given, Sharp did not regain consciousness. A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned by the Coroner.

Regards

Simon
    Simon,

The S/L Peter Tunstall mentioned in your 101 Squadron Lincoln tale, is none other than 70824 Peter David TUNSTALL RAF (later OC No.101 Sqn.). Part of his extraordinary career is related here:

http://aircrewremembered.com/tunstall-peter-1.html

For those wanting to know more about Tunstall, I suggest you get a copy of his memoir (a great read):

The Last Escaper: The Untold First-Hand Story of the Legendary Bomber Pilot, 'Cooler King' and Arch Escape Artist.
    Tunstall,Peter.
    London:Duckworth Overlook,2014.

The activities of his air gunner, Michael Joyce also make interesting reading.

Nothing really new, just bringing the story up to date.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th August 2019 at 09:30.

Thanks

Jagan
    I don't suppose that there is the slightest chance that the manifest from MA965 ( ex 42-92960 - KG497) on 31 Oct 47 survives?
    Was Ambala simply the take-off a/f for this flight, or had the personnel on board been posted from Ambala to Srinagar to support RIAF operations from that a/f?
    This movement sounds very like the (later) 38 Grp/224 Grp concept of a "Bare Base" and a "Forward Airhead" for insertion operations. These aimen sound like ground support staff?
    Ambala had been the home of the Met School in India (in 223 Grp). Were any of the cas Met Men? Is it possible that the Trades of the cas were recorded anywhere?
    A very long shot indeed!! But you never know what you might find if you don't ask!!!
    I deferentially request a miracle if you would be so kind!!
    TIA
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter

This is the closest I have got to having details of the trades of the airmen - From Air Marshal Bharat Kumar's An Incredible War

Aircraft took off from Agra, landed at Ambala to pick up personnel and then went missing.

Thanks

Jagan,
    Very many thanks for taking the time/effort to research this – much appreciated. Most of the cas (apart from the aircrew) seem to be fitters/mechs of one sort or another. No Met Men?!!
    So you’ve got a Dak, full of ORs to be taken to Srinager PDQ. I “flew” from Ambala to Srinagar (on FSX). I switched out all the weather. I ignored all the engine warnings. I couldn’t find a way through the Pir Panjal mountains at FL100 (keeping below oxygen level?) – no joy. I went up to FL120 – no joy! I then went up to FL150, and sneaked my way through, although I have to admit that the ‘hard scenery’ was often a lot nearer my “aeroplane” than I would have liked! A C-47 didn’t have individual Ox supply for pax/para? Ambala to Jammu was OK. From Jammu I tried various routes (based on Udhampur>Kharonti>Ramban>Banihal). There may be other ways, but I couldn’t find any!! If, indeed, they used that route then my guess is that came to grief somewhere between Ramban and Banihal?
    Tks again for a couple of ‘interesting’ afternoons!!
    Peter Davies