Thread: Flt Sgt Stanley Bernard Frith, Killibegs, N Ireland (Moved)

Thanks

Default Flt Sgt Stanley Bernard Frith, Killibegs, N Ireland (Moved)

Hello
    I have found some basic information in relation to a memorial to Sunderland ML743. Flt Sgt Stanley Frith was a crew member on this fateful plane which crashed on 14 March 1945 in the Mourne Mountains near Killibegs in N Ireland. I understand it was returning from a training exercise and crashed into the side of the mountain in poor visibility.killing all crew members.

I am not related to Stanley (but could have been, sort of). He was my mothers first fiance. I don't know the history of the relationship but I do have a few mementos that my mother kept. She married my father in 1948 and kept the mementos until her death in 2010.

I would be interested in finding any further information about accident as I would like to visit the crash site next year, on behalf of my mother who was unable to do so, as it will be the 75th Anniversary of the disaster.

Kind regards

John R Westwood

2. The Following User Says Thank You to John Westwood For This Useful Post:

dennis_burke (29th August 2019)

Thanks

Hi John

I've moved your post into the General Category as it will probably receive a wider viewing there

Malcolm

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, John.

Have you seen http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/ml743.htm. I've no doubt someone will suggest other ways forward, but the link appears to provide a very detailed account and subsequent history. Plenty of photographs of crew members.

Brian

Thanks

John, Hi,

Stanley Bernard Frith
    Q4 1919 Bernard Frith m. Marjorie Davies. Reg St Faiths 4b 329
    Q3 1923 b. Frith, Stanley B, (MMS Davies) Reg Wangford 4a 1893
    (Both St Faiths and Wangford are in the NE 'corner' of E Anglia).
    21-Jan-42(about) Enlisted RAFVR 1622351 (Block 1610001-1649900) Cardington, aged 19.
    His formal Service Record will give details of where he trained.
    14 Jan 1945 d. Flt Sgt (Pilot) 201 Sqn.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 17th August 2019 at 15:09. Reason: Additions
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The crash occurred near Killybegs (not Killibegs) which is in Donegal, in the Republic of Ireland. 100+ miles from the Mourne Mountains which are in Co Down, in Northern Ireland.
    http://dambustersblog.com
    http://www.breakingthedams.com

Thanks

Accidentally deleted my own post just now.

John, mine is the webpage linked above, ww2irishaviation.com/ml743.htm

I assisted the memorial group in contacting some of the relatives back in 2015. And had the honour to attend at the ceremony also that day. The part of the day that spoke to me most was listening to the voices of young local children who read out the crew names. Very simple yet in the silence of a packed room, it was lets say emotional.

If there is anything I can assist with please don't hesitate to contact me. If you have any other photos or items about Stanley, I would love to add them to the page as the photo I have is a little blurred. I have all the RAf crash reports that came with this sad incident.

My email address is dp_burke@yahoo.com I think a hyperlink might obscure the underscore between the p and b, so, there is an underscore there: dp_burke

I am curious what you searched for on lets say google if thats what you did, how my site wouldn't have come up, right now its about the fifth hit on google. Thats seraching for Stanley Bernard Frith with out any quotation marks or other keywords.

I am typing up a bio on him right now, the kids are asleep for a few minutes.