Thread: Lancaster Operations: One squadrons contribution. 2nd edition (moved)

Thanks

Default Lancaster Operations: One squadrons contribution. 2nd edition (moved)

hello, I am a newby to both this thread and to military research; so apologies if I write in error at all. I have been searching for Ian Reid's book for some time so will be queuing up overnight for the next edition. Sadly I have no photos and may not have much to offer but will offer my connection. with 100 squadron. My personal genealogy has connected me to a half sister age 89. Her cousin was Harold William George VICKERS, Sergeant 575977, Flight Engineer, 100 Squadron, Avro Lancaster III ED609, HW-O. T/O Grimsby 22:59 for Cologne. Shot down on 23 June 1943 by Maj. Wohlers Of I./NJGI at 02:17 near Vosdeel Age 19. To date my research seems to focus more on other flights shot down before and after this date. I have not been able to find a death certificate but perhaps they were not issued for military deaths?? I have found and printed photos of the Eindhoven memorial and the CWGC grave for her. She had no idea they existed so extremely moved. There was one survivor from the plane and I am currently researching his details with limited success. He died in 1998 age 75 and a local newspaper obituary tells the following. I have been unable so far to check the accuracy of all the details as opposed to locally presumed knowledge. As the plane dived in flames his parachute harness was tangled. It was kicked free by Harold VICKERS. After parachuting he hid in a Dutch barn and was found by a farm worker and taken to a family home. (The Pyjama House?? Anybody?) A British submarine was to pick up fugitive airmen but he was caught and sent to Schaveningen prison (1VB, I think?) He was about to be shot but Red Cross people intervened. This report said that he struggled to deal with his survival for years and at one point started to prepare an account but gave up due to stress. I wonder if that account could be found and given due respect. These two heroes do not quite have a genetic position in my family tree but I reckon I can find them a place with a tribute. I have foster and adopted children in my tree and there is plenty of room.

Oops! I forgot to give his name as I had planned. He is Sergeant (I believe) Ellis Wynne EVANS of a Welsh background, although he died in Scotland. A warning - there is any number of people on record with all of those names.
    Last edited by Connie Williams; 16th August 2019 at 21:26. Reason: Omission

Thanks

PM sent to Connie RE: Sgt.Ellis

Thanks

Hello

I have copied at the national archives (Kew) at least the first page of E.W. EVANS' PoW questionnaire. He wrote he was captured at Appledoorn (NL) on 6th August 1943.

contact me at JossLeclercq AT orange DOT fr (replace by the obvious) and I'll e-mail it to you when I'm back home.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Connie and Joss,

I have a copy of his liberation report, which gives a pre-service address in Caernarvonshire, North Wales.

Joss - I'm presuning this isn't the PoW questionairre you referred to? If you want a copy, let me know.

Connie, if you email me (gregATgreg-harrisonDOTcoDOTuk) I'll get a copy off to you too. There's a lot of interesting information about his time between being shot down and caught by the Gestapo in early August 1943.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

I have sent a pm to him

Connie Williams

Thanks

I have sent a pm to Greg

Thanks

Hello

Connie, e-mail received and PoW questionnaire sent in return by e-mail.

Greg, I provided you a copy of the PoW questionnaire (WO 344 series at Kew), for EVANS was No. 100 Squadron AND was from Wales ! I copied it 5 years while I was browsing volumes of EVANS PoWs, looking for others, but copying all airmen's report. As it's not a local event for me, I thank you for your offer of the Liberation report, but I have no real need for it.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Hello Connie, I am the son of Ellis Wynne Evans about whom you have been wondering. I will be happy to provide you with information, and my email is jossATjosswDOTcom.
    best wishes, Joss WE.