Thread: Flying Officer, Marie M. Gray, RCAF

Thanks

Default Flying Officer, Marie M. Gray, RCAF

Can anybody assist with a problem that I have please.

I have received a photograph of a family grave in Sandymount Cemetery, Springboig, Glasgow.

The grave memorial is surmounted by cross on which is commemorated the above lady who died 3rd November 1965, age 31. There is no indication that she is buried in that grave and my search of Ancestry suggests that she did not die in the UK, but then I may have done it all wrong.

Is there anybody with a knowledge of Royal Canadian Air Force incidents can advise how she died and where she is buried.

Will be most grateful for any information.

Tony

Thanks

I cannot find a matching name or date on

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem

A

Thanks

Hi Tony
    If you have just used Ancestry don't forget that their lists only cover England and Wales, not Scotland, For that country you will need something like Scotlandspeople.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

There is only 1 Marie Grey in Scotland for 1965 and 2 in 1966 - But none in the age range 30 to 40

Thanks

Tony,
    I think that our Canadian Cousins are likely to have the answer.
    However, they may be busy with essential technical research by Test Flying either Caribou Blood, or Moose's Milk - as referred to in Pavel's thread about his new book on Czechs in the RCAF.
    After all, we would not wish Pavel's book launch to fall flat, would we?
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Thanks chaps for your interest. No email notification of responses?

Amrit - Been waiting for a response from VAC

Dick - Will have to register on ScotlandsPeople

Paul - Thanks for the tre But it is GRAY not GREY

Resmorch - If they are all trying the recipes I doubt that I will hear this side of Christmas, but fingers still crossed.

Tony

Thanks

Sorry I should have said only 1 Marie Gray!

Thanks

For the benefit of those who may be interested. I applied for Marie's Service Record last November and receivd a 59 page document a couple of days ago from which I have compiled the following brief details of Marie Grays experiences since leaving school until her untimely death. The record suggests to me that she was a tragic loss to RCAF Medical Services and could well have progressed to an extremely high position had she survived.

Marie Gray left High School in 1949 and started training as a nurse. By 1957 she had qualified as a Registered Nurse and Registered Midwife. With these qualifications she emigrated to Canada and continued her nursing studies subsequently qualifying as a Postgraduate at Montreal Neurological Institute in 1961. She now applied for a Short Service Commission with the Royal Canadian Air Force Medical Services and was accepted with the rank of Flying Officer and posted to 3 Wing RCAF at Zweibrucken, Germany.

On 2nd November 1965, whilst off duty, she was traveling as a passenger in an automobile in the Pirmasens area, near the French/German border, when the car was caught in a gust of wind. The vehicle was forced across the road into the path of an oncoming bus. The car driver was killed and Marie was seriously injured suffering cerebral laceration, contusion and depressed frontal skull fracture. Despite all efforts at the U.S. Army Hospital at Landsthus, Germany she died 12 hours later.

There was a funeral service, with full military honours, at the Air Station Chapel on 5th November and her remains were placed aboard an aircraft for transfer to Scotland where a burial service took place at Sandymount Cemetery. An official RCAF Headstone Cross was subsequently added to the existing Headstone.

Tony

Thanks

I am sure I have seen this elsewhere....? Here or "elsewhere"?
    I certainly wasn't part of this forum back in 2008.....