Thread: 110 OTU, New Mexico

Thanks

Default 110 OTU, New Mexico

Hello all

I'm looking for any info about 110 OTU, which was to be based in New Mexico, to train RAF crews on the B-17 and B-24. I'm not sure it was ever formed though - does anyone know?

TIA

Snapper

Thanks

In the researchers' bible "RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912" by Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin it says: "A plan was prepared immediately after America's entry into the war to set up a bomber crew training organisation in the USA, supplemented by additional OTUs in Canada, all using US built types".

The units were to be numbered 110 to 120. No 110 OTU was planned for Alamogordo (B-17 and B-34). Only No 111 OTU Nassau, Bahamas was actually formed.

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBrooking View Post
    In the researchers' bible "RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912" by Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin it says: "A plan was prepared immediately after America's entry into the war to set up a bomber crew training organisation in the USA, supplemented by additional OTUs in Canada, all using US built types".

The units were to be numbered 110 to 120. No 110 OTU was planned for Alamogordo (B-17 and B-34). Only No 111 OTU Nassau, Bahamas was actually formed.

Steve

Superb - thanks Steve. Do we know why the plan was cancelled?

Thanks

Snapper41,
    From various sources:
    7 Dec 1941 USA enters WW2. (there is no airfield (civil or military) at Alamogordo at this time?).
    Plans made for a number of OTUs in the USA (I can’t find anything in TNA – but I’m no expert!)
    6 Feb 1942 Work starts on Holoman Air Force Base (Wiki – caveat emptor!).
    Nov 1942 Holoman opens (Wiki – caveat emptor).
    So it seems that Alamogordo was not operational until early 1943 – by which time the decision had been made (there may have been additional reasons?) not to form/site 110 OTU at Alamogordo?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

There is nothing in the source I quoted that explains the cancellation.

I have studied lend-lease a fair bit and I would suggest an important reason was that, in order to give priority to the build up of his own forces, Arnold was never going to release enough hardware especially B-17s and B-24s to equip eleven OTUs. I think possibly the potential of the "American arsenal" was over-estimated.

British planners would have included the human resources of the Empire (Australia, Canada etc) in their projections but it is also possible that British manpower planning was seriously optimistic my understanding is that by 1942-43 Britain was running into serious problems in dealing with the conflicting demands of the armed forces and industry.

Steve

Thanks

Hello All,
    USAF Holloman looks a good a/f. Did several “fly rounds” the local area. Good spot to learn to convert! Long r/w but at 4200ft ASL, and with some very high summer temps, the take-off distance calculations may have turned out to be quite large! Think I could have coped with a 3 month Det there – at the right time of year!!! Quick ‘look’ at Alamogordo town seemed to indicate more churches than pubs – say no more! Another one on the list of “Places I Wish I’d Been To”. I do this sort of thing in order to bring some ‘human normality dimension’ to a location that might otherwise just be somewhere on memorial stones/sites, or a typed location in a minute in a File!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 25th August 2019 at 14:51. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!