Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Help in identifying some RCAF first names

Thanks

Thanks very much I tried looking for E Swanson's at Big River, Saskatchewan in the Prairie Census of 1926 on the LA Canada site with not much luck. There is an Elmer Swanson born c1920 and an Erick Swanson born c1922 but the surname is fairly common so nothing definite

Thanks Again

Chris

Thanks

Chris,

It is Eric Swanson.

https://www.jkcc.com/century/family28.html (about halfway down, family photo starts narrative)

Eric Swanson was born on January 15, 1922, in Big River. He was the second youngest of a family of nine children. His parents were John and Ingeborg Swanson. His siblings were Swea, Gus, Tessa, Howard, Martha, Carl, Alfred and Elsie. Eric grew up in the Big River area and went to school there as well. At the age of seventeen, Eric joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. He soon suffered a serious head injury during training. The injury resulted in a concussion and Eric was in a coma for thirty days. It took him some time to recover but he eventually was able to rejoin the service. He served four years as an Air Gunner during World War II. Later on, Eric found it very difficult to talk about his experiences throughout the war and tried to avoid talking about the time that he served.
    Given today's population of Big River is below 700, I would be extremely surprised if this is not the man.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Dave

Thanks very much that is great work, I don't know how you find these obscure documents I must refine my 'googling' skills.

With regards to Charles Lemuel Hollands is there anything linking him the the air force or is it just a case of right name, right age, right country?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks

UK Marriages Dec 1947 (>99%)

Gallant Joyce Olive Hollands Norwich 4b 1532 Scan available - click to view
    Hollands Charles L Gallant Norwich 4b 1532 Scan available - click to view

_> Moved to year city British Columbia Canada

Thanks

Chris,

I wrote "I believe" based on his death certificate, which also confirms Paul's information re his spouse, as well as an article in The Vancouver Sun from 26 September 1945 "92 BC Fliers, 7 WD on trip home" which has a
    "WO1 G.L. Hollands, 631 Eighteenth Avenue, New Westminster" as one of the returnees.

Given it may be a typo but Hollands is the only Hollands who passed away in New Westminster between 1900 and 1998.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

That's great thank you both

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cozzy711 View Post
    Dear All

Apart from the outstanding ones already on here I have found a few more I would like help in identifying

2) F/Sgt L J or L G Sullivan R79106. He was a Wop/AG on the above aircraft.
    Found him at last - he is F/Sgt Lawrence James SULLIVAN R79106 Wireless Operator Branch. Commissioned in the Canada Gazette dated 17th June 1944 becoming J85135

This would be so much easier if the search facility on the Gazette Archives actually worked!

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cozzy711 View Post

I have also found three more needing first names

a) W/O M G HOLLAND R106010 RCAF who was on board DD862 of 423 Squadron on 20th January 1944 when two officers got accidentally shot
    This airman was Myrddyn Glyn HOLLAND b. 1919 in Manitoba d.2000 buried Sonoma County, California. His headstone is helpfully marked "Wireless Operator - RCAF".

There is also an old newspaper article upon his graduation from the Bombing and Gunnery School at Macdonald, Manitoba that stated he believed he was the shortest aircrew in the RCAF standing only
    4'11 1/4"

Ancestry.com to the rescue again.

Chris