Thread: F/Lt L S Loveridge

Thanks

Default F/Lt L S Loveridge

Hello all,

Having been sent the AFC citation (Gazetted 7/9/45) for Leonard Stanley Loveridge (107936) recently by Hugh, it mentions that he had previously served with 23 Squadron.

Does anyone have the ORB for the squadron, or perhaps have some information on this airman? It appears that he may have been with the squadron mid to late 1944?

Any information or help welcomed!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default Leonard Stanley Loveridge

I came across this forum when Googling my father's name, Leonard Stanley Loveridge.

I realise the post is 5 years old, but it must refer to my father, and I would be interested to find out more about his RAF career, as he never spoke much about it, and died many years ago.

So in the original poster reads this - or anyone else for that matter - perhaps they would reply.

Thanks

Michael,
    I now have a copy of the 23sqdn ORB, and will be happy to look through it for information.
    Alan
    Last edited by AlanW; 2nd September 2013 at 18:50.

Thanks

Michael, Hi, welcome to the forum,
    Go to the London Gazette, go to Advanced Search, select WW2 from the drop downs, extend the drop-down end date to 1960, and put 107936 in the "exact phrase" box. You will get all his RAFVR rank (and gong) dates. He Enlisted some time after Jan 1937 in the newly formed RAFVR. Any problems with acronyms, etc, then somebody on the forum will know! You should get his Service Record. That will contain a myriad of acronyms/short-forms, etc, but we have more experts in them on this forum than you can shake a stick at tom-cats in a fish-market on a Sunday!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd September 2013 at 15:21.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Michael,
    I've gone from May 45 back to Jan 44, and cannot find your father in any aircrew position. Have to go to work, but will continue back from Dec 43.
    Alan

Thanks

You can obtain your father's service record from the RAF, Michael; for details go to https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#how-to-apply-for-service-personnel-records . There is a 30 fee and a wait of between 22 and 25 weeks (at present) before the document arrives.

The record will list the units with which he served, together with promotions and awards. There will be a lot of acronyms but, as Peter has written, the forum would be happy to help decipher those that you can't. Once you know the squadrons with which he served the respective Operations Record Books (ORB) - available on-line from the National Archives - will provide information as to his flying activities.

Brian

Thanks

Well ! after going through the ORB, starting from May 45, i have finally found him, in December 1940 :-).
    First flight with 23sqdn, on 5th Nov, was Searchlight Co-Operation in local sector. His final op, on 22nd Dec 40, found him running out of fuel, after an offensive patrol to France. The crew baled out, Sgt Loveridge landed near Shanklin, IOW, the other two crew members, Sgt Newman, (Obs) and Sgt Southall (A/G) drowned.

michael, if you let me have your email address via a "pm" i'll send you the pages.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanW; 2nd September 2013 at 19:35.

Thanks

Hello Michael,

I have sent you an email regarding your father.

Alan,

I would be interested what entries you find in the ORB. Could you transcribe the entry for his accident on 22 December 1940, while returning from patrol over France? I have a note that he joined the squadron on 18th August 1940.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

Tom,
    I'm going offline now until tomorrow afternoon, but if you pm me your email address, i'll send what i've found when i get in from work tomorrow early evening.
    Sgt Loveridge and crew, baled out owing to lack of petrol. Pilot landed near Shanklin, Isle of Wight. The other two members of the crew, Sgt Newman (Obs) and Sgt Southall (A/G) were drowned, the bodies being washed ashore at Isle Of Wight.
    Alan